Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Passthrough power - how is it works?

kagdmhh
Star II
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: Asus Rog 3
========================================
When I attach the charging cable to the phone it's charging, doesn't matter which port I use.
How can I activate passthrough charging/power which means the battery is not charging only the phone gets energy from the cable?
Or I misunderstood the reviews about the phone?
11 REPLIES 11

GhostRecon
Rising Star I
That's a promising feature for gamers.

Jan_Darrel
Star III
Sharath

That's a promising feature for gamers.

View post
Hi Bro, i just receive my ROG3 Global and to activate the Pass-through manually there is a 3 choices 80%-90%-100% the default is 100% that when its fully charge and 100% the Power Charger will go thru Phone without charging the battery to make the battery long last.
To do this go to Settings -> Advanced -> Mobile Manger -> Power Master -> Battery Care -> at the Bottom select want you want me i just selected the 90% which is my battery now is 91% so it works it didn't charge the battery, PowerCharger Pass-through directly to the phone. I downloaded "Ampere" apps to confirm see below Screenshot. 
118281698-778059506100792-8593000072156732028-n.jpg
118366127-745084409609942-70499296119760977-n.jpg
118559488-3348702145152128-3389650262027826258-n.jpg

kranthi_panga
Star III
The settings of 80, 90% you are seeing is for device to stop charging the battery even if the charger is kept ON.

Per moderator @Anders_ASUS below is how passthrough works...

What it does is that it only takes as much power as it needs to run the system. So if you're at 32% battery and enable passthrough power, then you will still have 32% when you stop gaming. The benefit with this mode is that it doesn't generate extra heat from charging the battery.

This feature will come in game genie app in near future updates...

Jan_Darrel
Star III
kranthi.panga

The settings of 80, 90% you are seeing is for device to stop charging the battery even if the charger is kept ON.

Per moderator @Anders_ASUS below is how passthrough works...

What it does is that it only takes as much power as it needs to run the system. So if you're at 32% battery and enable passthrough power, then you will still have 32% when you stop gaming. The benefit with this mode is that it doesn't generate extra heat from charging the battery.

This feature will come in game genie app in near future updates...

View post
did you even tried? as for me it is the same from 91% i played PUBG almost an hour and when i unpluged the charger i still have 91% coz i set 90% limot. So as for me the same as pass-through coz it didnt charge my battery it is good for me.

Also not all moderator know the answer i create a thread and asking if the Mobile Dock from ROG1 2018 is compatible with ROG 3 he said it is not coz the thickness he said but when my ROG3 arrive i tried docking it in my Mobile Dock it is fitted and workinb 100%.

imbackatyou
Star III
Jan Darrel

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/107400#Comment_107400

did you even tried? as for me it is the same from 91% i played PUBG almost an hour and when i unpluged the charger i still have 91% coz i set 90% limot. So as for me the same as pass-through coz it didnt charge my battery it is good for me.

Also not all moderator know the answer i create a thread and asking if the Mobile Dock from ROG1 2018 is compatible with ROG 3 he said it is not coz the thickness he said but when my ROG3 arrive i tried docking it in my Mobile Dock it is fitted and workinb 100%.

View post
You seemed to be misunderstood the pass through vs limiter. LIMITER is when the charger stop charging the phone in 80%, 90% or 100% but it doesn't mean that the battery is not getting power from the charger when you are playing. It still the battery who gives power for the phone and the charger is still giving power for the battery and while you are playing it drains the battery but on a contrary the charger is still charging the battery so that's why its still 90%. PASS THROUGH is when the charger is "DIRECTLY" giving the power for the phone so the battery won't be drain and being charged by the charger to reduce heating. Just imagine a laptop that doesn't have a battery but you can use it while charging because the adapter is directly giving the laptop a power. And its the same concept for the pass through.