waxy78611
Zen Master I
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: Rog 3 256GB
Firmware Version: 17.0823.200732
Rooted or not: No
Frequency of Occurrence: frequently
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
So I compared my rog 3 to my rog 2 with same usage as follows: 60Hz, Wifi, brightness extremely low (5%), no apps running apart from YouTube. Bluetooth, GPS, Xmode, Sync etc all switched OFF. The Rog 3 reaches 36degress celcius with these low settings and just YouTube playing!!! How is this possible??
Same usage with rog 2, the Rog 2 does NOT go above 25 degrees celcius (BIG DIFFERENCE). However I noticed that with Rog 2, there's only a heating up issue with Android 10, so I've downgraded to Android 9 and it's perfect. Unfortunately downgrade isn't possible with Rog 3 as it released with Android 10.
I can't imagine how hot the Rog 3 will get with 90hz 120hz or 144hz with full brightness!! Will probably damage the phone completely. This isn't right !
Also the random screen freeze on rog 3 is annoying, it freezes for about 5 seconds or slightly more when opening recent apps.
The heating issue is by far the most concerning, I mean 36degrees celcius with just YouTube playing on lowest refresh rate (60hz) and 5% brightness, imagine increasing brightness and refresh rate 🤦🤦

Rog 2 on Android 9 is the perfect phone.
Please developers, fix this. I paid good money for my rog 3 and to be honest it's a fantastic phone let down by these issues. If you can fix these issues then rog 3 will hands down be the ultimate phone. Perhaps you rushed the release without perfecting the phone. A phone should not launch with such serious issues.
I look forward to hearing from you, thanks alot 🙏

19 REPLIES 19

federicaargo
Star III
I had the same issues (plus battery running low too fast) and they just disappeared when I set the refreshing rate to 144hz and started charging my phone with fast charge while turned on.
I can't really explain why but the more I stress it and treat it like I don't care about its wellbeing (I thought slow charge would preserve battery life on the long run, same as charging it with the phone turned off but it seems like this phone doesn't like to be treated like it's on a dying bed AHAHAH
Have fun with your phone, stop caring about preserving battery and use it full boost. Apparently it's meant to be like this and doesn't like to do otherwise ahahah!

waxy78611
Zen Master I
I'll give this a go, as strange as it sounds lol, but even still the heating issue is concerning 🤦

Anders_ASUS
Hall of Fame III
waxy78611

Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:

1. Model Name: Rog 3 256GB
  2. Firmware Version: 17.0823.200732
  3. Rooted or not: No
  4. Frequency of Occurrence: frequently
  5. APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):

In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.

========================================

So I compared my rog 3 to my rog 2 with same usage as follows: 60Hz, Wifi, brightness extremely low (5%), no apps running apart from YouTube. Bluetooth, GPS, Xmode, Sync etc all switched OFF. The Rog 3 reaches 36degress celcius with these low settings and just YouTube playing!!! How is this possible??

Same usage with rog 2, the Rog 2 does NOT go above 25 degrees celcius (BIG DIFFERENCE). However I noticed that with Rog 2, there's only a heating up issue with Android 10, so I've downgraded to Android 9 and it's perfect. Unfortunately downgrade isn't possible with Rog 3 as it released with Android 10.

I can't imagine how hot the Rog 3 will get with 90hz 120hz or 144hz with full brightness!! Will probably damage the phone completely. This isn't right !

Also the random screen freeze on rog 3 is annoying, it freezes for about 5 seconds or slightly more when opening recent apps.

The heating issue is by far the most concerning, I mean 36degrees celcius with just YouTube playing on lowest refresh rate (60hz) and 5% brightness, imagine increasing brightness and refresh rate 🤦🤦

Rog 2 on Android 9 is the perfect phone.

Please developers, fix this. I paid good money for my rog 3 and to be honest it's a fantastic phone let down by these issues. If you can fix these issues then rog 3 will hands down be the ultimate phone. Perhaps you rushed the release without perfecting the phone. A phone should not launch with such serious issues.

I look forward to hearing from you, thanks alot 🙏

Rog Phone 3 Over heating & Random screen freezing
If what you say is true, then this is ofc something we need to fix. But most of the times when observations like these are made, there might be something in the test that was not the same, something that probably played a big part in why there's such a big difference.
I have a ROG Phone 3 here that has been playing youtube 1080p for 10 minutes with your settings. It started at 25C and it's still at 25C

waxy78611
Zen Master I
Anders_ASUS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/33792/rog-phone-3-over-heating-random-screen-freezing

If what you say is true, then this is ofc something we need to fix. But most of the times when observations like these are made, there might be something in the test that was not the same, something that probably played a big part in why there's such a big difference.

I have a ROG Phone 3 here that has been playing youtube 1080p for 10 minutes with your settings. It started at 25C and it's still at 25C

View post
I have no idea why yours stays at 25 degrees 🤦 especially with same settings as mine. But it seems the overheating is happening to many other users too. Personally, I blame Android 10 because my Rog 2 was perfect on Android 9 but since Android 10 the Rog 2 has gone down hill. Perhaps a thorough test with multiple devices is needed along with a nice software update to balance things out. I do believe it's software related and not hardware related . Thanks for the reply btw