This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery capacity rapidly degrading

kyleashcraft86
Rising Star I
I activated my ZS630KL-S855-8G256G on 11/24/2019. As of 8/09/2020 my battery capacity is at 83%. I never charge overnight and always immediately unplug after hitting 100%. I've heard about others experiencing the same issue. Is this normal for all rog phone 2? What are my options? Is anybody able to offer any advice or info? Thanks in advance

30 REPLIES 30

Not applicable
kyleashcraft86

Wondering if anyone has had a battery replacement done at a 3rd party shop or done it themselves. I initially was worried about the quality of a 3rd party battery but seeing as the official asus rog 2 battery is pretty crappy to begin with I would think a 3rd party one couldn't be any worse. Hopefully better

View post
Battery degradation is a common issue for rog 2 including other phones such as redmi and samsung. We just don't observe it that much on other phones because they got limited capacity of 3700-4000 mah which is not much to begin with. Its just we expect so much more from 6000 mah battery and let me state a fact, it doesnt matter if the battery is degrading fast or slow, it will not be covered in warranty unless your phone hits from 100%-50% in an hour which is a serious issue and this level of degradation is impossible to happen within warranty period. That might as well get you a free battery replacement.
Even if you dont get a free battery replacement you just have to pay 3k rs which is the same cost of hyper charger so i dont mind paying 3k for using my phone for 2 more years.

Vamp
Zen Master I
SoumyaRS

I still don't understand, how charging your battery to 80% will help increase in battery health?

View post
Batteries like lithium ion or lithium polymer when are charged they just increase the voltage of the battery. Say new battery have a voltage of 4.2 v. Charging battery upto a 100% from 0% will cause you a full cycle of charge i.e. charging from base voltage to Full 4.2v. This max voltage with time will degrade causing degradation of battery say after 1 year its degraded to 4.0v so automatically your battery will be degraded say 20%, now if you charge your device to 100% ( although it says 100% but it's still 80% as software cannot determine that voltage change).
Most of the batteries are good for 300 cycles and since the charging is exponential, charging beyond 80% causes more wear to the battery, charging upto 80% causes maybe like half a cycle so you can use your device theoretically for twice the time when compared to charging your battery at 100%.

anjubunny123
Zen Master I
Lets just think that I am leaving the phone overnight to charge to 100 % everyday (with scheduled charging from 10pm to 6am)and I am left with 3% on the end of day with 7.5 to 8 hrs of sot with 1.5hrs of gaming ,1.5 hours of web browsing ,1.5 hours of media consumption
What will be the health of battery after one year and 2nd year and 3rd year respectively cause i have to use this phone until my graduation in 4th year and I bought this phone in mid 1st year
Can it be usable until 4th year? Or at which year do I need to replace my battery
@Anders_ASUS @Vamp

Not applicable
anjubunny123

Lets just think that I am leaving the phone overnight to charge to 100 % everyday (with scheduled charging from 10pm to 6am)and I am left with 3% on the end of day with 7.5 to 8 hrs of sot with 1.5hrs of gaming ,1.5 hours of web browsing ,1.5 hours of media consumption

What will be the health of battery after one year and 2nd year and 3rd year respectively cause i have to use this phone until my graduation in 4th year and I bought this phone in mid 1st year

Can it be usable until 4th year? Or at which year do I need to replace my battery

@Anders_ASUS

View post
Look, battery can last upto maximum 4 years if taken good care of it but after 2 years battery are partially degraded i.e if your battery is draining 5%/h while using youtube then after 2 years it will be 10%/h and after 4 years it will double upto 20%/h which will still be usable for good 3 hours or so.

Not applicable
anjubunny123

@Anders_ASUS

View post
Battery degradation depends on wears on battery which is more when you charge above 80%. So even if you have the scheduled charging you are still charging it above 80%. Battery consumption also depends on temperature of phone or room. I once had my AC on 20°C and my phone battery was draining fast because now i know that phones battery need to reach a certain temperature to function properly and if the temp is too low then the battery will do more work to bring it to usable temperatures. And on hot temperatures the battery drain increases to prevent overheating of device and prevent burn of any component such as screen. When you charge battery to 80% it will have 0.5-0.7 wear and as they stated a battery is good for 300 wears which means you can have the device for good 2 years and have no impact on battery. After 2 years your battery has approx 150-250 wear depends on % you charge to. If you are charging to 100% then in 2 years you might want to consider replacing your battery which is fairly very good option rather than buying a new phone. Battery replacement only costs 3000 rs in india which is cheaper than i thought and you can use phone for another good 2-4 years depending on what you use it for.