This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery capacity rapidly degrading

kyleashcraft86
Rising Star I
I activated my ZS630KL-S855-8G256G on 11/24/2019. As of 8/09/2020 my battery capacity is at 83%. I never charge overnight and always immediately unplug after hitting 100%. I've heard about others experiencing the same issue. Is this normal for all rog phone 2? What are my options? Is anybody able to offer any advice or info? Thanks in advance

30 REPLIES 30

SoumyaRS
Rising Star II
ausaras@gmail.com

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/103037#Comment_103037

I forgot where I read the same information. Li batteries are most comfortable between the 20% - 80% range.

My previous phone was Oneplus 6. Before owning Oneplus 6, I always kept phone plugged in most of the day so battery is almost always above 80%. And every phone's battery started to degrade rapidly after 1 year...I thought this was normal. But by the one year mark, I usually pass the phone to someone else so this did not matter to me much.

Then, I bought Oneplus 6 and read the 20-80% range information. So, for Oneplus 6, I mostly kept it around that range. I used Oneplus 6 for 2 years and battery degradation was MUCH less than all the other phones before it. I was planning to keep using it but I dropped it one night and its screen broke.

Because I need a phone urgently and did not have a backup phone, I purchased ROG 2, which I have been interested for a long time but the price was a bit too high for me, especially when the Oneplus 6 was still working well. Anyway, in the end, I bought ROG 2 despite the high price...was going to wait for ROG 3 but the lack of earphone jack turned me off.

In summary, keep your batter between the 20% - 80% range most of the time. It REALLY does make a difference!

View post
Here is the thing, I am using my battery to 100% without overcharging it. May be after 1 year or 1 and 1/2 half year, my battery capacity will degrade to 80%. However, your battery capacity is 80% from day 1 as you are charging your battery to 80% only. That means your battery is already degraded by yourself. Then what is the use of 6000Mah battery if you are using it like 4800Mah battery.
If I am getting 9 hours of SOT from day 1, you will be getting 7 hours of SOT. After 1 year may be I will be getting 7 hours of SOT AND you will be getting 6.5 hours of SOT.
SO HOW DOES THAT INCREASE YOUR BATTERY LIFE?

anthony_j_comi
Star III
SoumyaRS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/103044#Comment_103044

Here is the thing, I am using my battery to 100% without overcharging it. May be after 1 year or 1 and 1/2 half year, my battery capacity will degrade to 80%. However, your battery capacity is 80% from day 1 as you are charging your battery to 80% only. That means your battery is already degraded by yourself. Then what is the use of 6000Mah battery if you are using it like 4800Mah battery.

If I am getting 9 hours of SOT from day 1, you will be getting 7 hours of SOT. After 1 year may be I will be getting 7 hours of SOT AND you will be getting 6.5 hours of SOT.

View post
A battery suffers from higher wear levels over 80% the cycles on your battery depend on how you charge it what you just said makes no sense sorry you need to read more on it as it seems you don't understand how cells work, I know what you are trying to say but it doesn't work that way, 100% charging your battery will put more wear on the battery and increases degradation for anything over the 80% but every battery is different and there are different types of cells that require different charging habits, if you are unsure let me know and I can link you to some information

ZT959595
Rising Star II
SoumyaRS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/103044#Comment_103044

View post

I think you are describing some other kind of battery. Charging to 80% does not form a "ceiling" for the battery. Li battery does not work like that.
After 80%, it becomes harder to push electrons into the Li battery and more heat is generated. Li battery does not like heat at all. I do occasionally charge it up to 100% if I am going to be outside for a while.
This is why I do not like to post in forums. YOU HAVE PEOPLE WHO ARE JUST ANGRY AT EVERYTHING, EVEN IF IT IS NOT DIRECTED AT ANYONE AND SIMPLY A SHARING OF EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE. SOME PEOPLE JUST TAKE EVERYTHING SO PERSONALLY.
HERE IS A LINK OF AN ARTICLE FOR YOU TO STUDY AND LET'S LEAVE IT AT THAT.
h**ps://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

Anders_ASUS
Hall of Fame III
kyleashcraft86

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/103000#Comment_103000

Alright I'll give this a try. Obviously sending it out is the last resort. I assume once I do a factory reset I would just install apps one by one? Instead of from a backup?

View post
Yes! There's always a risk (small but definitely there) with restoring a backup since it may bring back the very thing that caused the battery drain.

kyleashcraft86
Rising Star I
I'm aware that charging beyond 80% can cause rapid degradation. Accubattery tells you this multiple times within the app. They actually have a timer that rings off when your device reaches 80%. This is a default setting in the app. I actually went in and denied every app from automatically starting. Signal is the only one I didn't do this with because I wasn't getting text messages until I opened the app. So I left that but everything else has been denied. I've noticed quite a difference in the battery life. My stand by life used to be horrible. It would drain up to 8% a hour. Now I only loose around 2%. Denying most apps from automatically starting makes more of a difference than I initially thought