This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to unlock bootloader after sending it to the service centre for motherboard replacement

kenturky
Star II
So, I bought a Zenfone 6 aka Asus 6z in May, unlocked bootloader, installed a few custom ROMs, and around mid June, it starts giving random reboots, including freezes, and I had to hold the power button for 20 seconds to restart... So I flashed stock ROM, relocked the bootloader, and gave it to the service centre. Got the phone back in a week, and now I'm unable to unlock the bootloader. Unlock App won't work saying it's a network issue. It's been a while, and I'm still having this issue...
The OEM unlock toggle isn't available though, even after enabling developer options. It seems like that toggle disappeared... Any way to get it back?
Model Name: ZS630KL
Firmware Version: Build no: QP1A.190711.005.WW_Phone-17.1810.2003.145
Rooted or not: no
Frequency of Occurrence: NA
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): Unlock App version: 9.1.0.11_190708

If you need any more info, just lemme know.
Edit: Someone on Asus zenfone 6 dev group on telegram suggested tagging you guys... @Anders_ASUS @CH_ASUS
Hopefully you guys will be able to help me out. Thanks in advance...
8 REPLIES 8

victor010
Zen Master III
Hi, you will not get updates via OTA if you unlock the bootloader, It's better if you keep your bootloader locked, your warranty will be void as soon as you unlock the bootloader. It does not necessarily mean that you are rooted, the bootloader can be unlocked without rooting but the processes go side by side. You will not get any benefit if you unlock bootloader and do not root.

ColorSage
Zen Master I
Afaik Asus never complied with unlocking via fastboot and their app is the only way to get unlocked. Try to flash latest official Android 9 version before attempting. It fixed all the issues to me.

kenturky
Star II
Victor0_ASUS

Hi, you will not get updates via OTA if you unlock the bootloader, It's better if you keep your bootloader locked, your warranty will be void as soon as you unlock the bootloader. It does not necessarily mean that you are rooted, the bootloader can be unlocked without rooting but the processes go side by side. You will not get any benefit if you unlock bootloader and do not root.

View post
Actually, I'm not worried about that, not getting OTA updates.

The problem I'm facing is that ever since I got it from the service centre, the "OEM unlocking" option is unavailable in developer options, and the unlock app isn't unlocking my device. I wanna unlock the bootloader because I want to install a custom ROM, but unable to unlock, and fastboot commands too do not work in unlocking the bootloader. This command (fastboot oem asus-official) usually worked for some people, but unfortunately, it's not working for me.

ColorSage

Afaik Asus never complied with unlocking via fastboot and their app is the only way to get unlocked. Try to flash latest official Android 9 version before attempting. It fixed all the issues to me.

View post
Alright thanks, will reflash the latest android 9 ROM, and report back...

hhop3936
Star II
kenturky

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/100122#Comment_100122

Actually, I'm not worried about that, not getting OTA updates.

The problem I'm facing is that ever since I got it from the service centre, the "OEM unlocking" option is unavailable in developer options, and the unlock app isn't unlocking my device. I wanna unlock the bootloader because I want to install a custom ROM, but unable to unlock, and fastboot commands too do not work in unlocking the bootloader. This command (fastboot oem asus-official) usually worked for some people, but unfortunately, it's not working for me.

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/100157#Comment_100157

Alright thanks, will reflash the latest android 9 ROM, and report back...

View post
it will solved After downgrade to android 9 or not ?? Because i have same issue . My android version is 10 , and I can't unlock the bootloader .