Sound / Loudness level decreased after .189/.191 Update

There's substantial drop in loudness level via inbuilt - speaker  & earphones as well . Please check.

Comments

• Yes mods, please help. Can't hear anything on call unless i am in a silent room.. 
  • Yes indeed. Earpiece loudness has gone down drastically..
  • Just not able to hear when in noisy place like public transport.. it was working fine in update before 189

• It was reduced for a reason to provide better stereo effect
    On previous firmware the bottom speaker was much more louder than the earpiece speaker 
    They did the same with 5z
    Don't worry with the next couple of updates they'll increase the output and stereo effect again
  • Is that guaranteed ? Can any MOD confirm please ?
  • We'll bring it back to our devs.
    For .189/.191 we improved the voice quality during a call , as was confirmed by several users as well - however we'll check again if the maximum volume was also decreased in order to keep the distortion in check.

I cant say I experience any issues with loudness but it may be due to ambient noises are not as high as some other places. We'll bring it back to the devs.
  • Thanks. Pls get this fixed in next FOTA.. it's a pain to hear through earpiece in noisy places.. 
  • #bugreport
    About bottom speaker, in  .189 besides lower maximum volume (seems like it's not just placebo effect to me) there is an audible high-pitching noise which can be heard in silent environments. I can't recall if that was the case with previous firmwares but I don't think so. Steps to reproduce:
    1. Start playing audio from any source, keep volume low 
    2. Set volume level to 0 without pausing audio source
    3. There is about 33% chance of getting that noise. It will not turn off over time
    4. To fix that, increase volume to any level
    Anyway, it's super minor, just something I've noticed accidentally.
  • ColorSage said:
    #bugreport
    About bottom speaker, in  .189 besides lower maximum volume (seems like it's not just placebo effect to me) there is an audible high-pitching noise which can be heard in silent environments. I can't recall if that was the case with previous firmwares but I don't think so. Steps to reproduce:
    1. Start playing audio from any source, keep volume low 
    2. Set volume level to 0 without pausing audio source
    3. There is about 33% chance of getting that noise. It will not turn off over time
    4. To fix that, increase volume to any level
    Anyway, it's super minor, just something I've noticed accidentally.
    Please Mark this :
    I got   .157 out of the box:
    In .157 : I didn't had any issue with speakers (ear piece + bottom) output in MUSIC.
    Yes :  In call the out put of earpiece was very sharp(shrilling) and able to hear all the noises goin around other side person on call.
    Then I got .174 FOTA :
    In
     .174  : MUSIC OUTPUT OF ( EAR PIECE + bottom SPEAKER) WAS LOWERED (LEVELED DOWN) compared to .157.
    In call quality : earpiece output became warm compared to .157.
    I got .191 FOTA on 29 aug 2019
    NOW ON .191 
    Ear piece + bottom SPEAKER  : levels on music output is very low as compared to .157. ( unfortunately 6z is sounding like other ordinary phones with single speaker) low frequency n high frequency both trimmed alot.
    In call : the sharpness/  shrilling is gone completely.
    Note * : in above versions (.157/.174/.191) I never faced distortion issue on bottom speaker neither on lowest vol nor on highest when any song or music is in play.

PLEASE WORK DIFFERENTLY ON:  
    PHONE'S STEREO SPEAKERS OUTPUT ON  MUSIC
      &
     IT'S OUTPUT DURING CALL.
    WHY OTIMIZING ONE IS AFFECTING OTHER ? BOTH ARE DIFFERENT SCENARIO & SHOULD HAVE DIFFERENT PROCESSING/LOGIC IN BACK GROUND.
    IMPROVEMENT REQUIRED : ON MUSIC OUTPUT OF PHONE SPEAKERS. ( NO COMPROMISE ON :LOUDNESS + EITHER END OF THE FREQUENCIES)

• ColorSageColorSage Level 3
    edited August 2019
    They've fixed low volume noise on main speaker though
  • ColorSage said:
    As I highlighted there was no such noise issue in my case.
    But whatever changes they done, stereo output ( music) has gone down ( voice, instruments, percussions , electronic guitar) everything sounds very low compared to earlier (.157) . Phone use to stand out in crowd earlier but now it sounds ordinary like other phones ☹️.
    Earlier 6z sound out put was leaving even  i-phone X behind...but now 6z sounds ordinary.
    Please improve....

• lovin2501 said:
    ColorSage said:
    As I highlighted there was no such noise issue in my case.
    But whatever changes they done, stereo output ( music) has gone down ( voice, instruments, percussions , electronic guitar) everything sounds very low compared to earlier (.157) . Phone use to stand out in crowd earlier but now it sounds ordinary like other phones ☹️.
    Earlier 6z sound out put was leaving even  i-phone X behind...but now 6z sounds ordinary.
    Please improve....

We'll keep bringing the topic back to our audio teams. I'm sure the team will keep improving - however sometimes it is not so easy to improve one specific area , without affecting another specific area. So there is a balance to be had somewhere.
  • Yes very much disappointed by decreased volume when we requested for higher volume in earpiece during calling. Now outdoor mode is just like vocal mode with same volume earlier it was loud very loud. They balanced out stereo mode now main speaker sounds equal to earpiece in stereo mode. But i was happy the way it was before. 
  • .189 EU .. my phone sound is right ... i setting equalizer and all is ok .. 
  • I got my Asus Z6 Yesterday.

Out of the box It started to make many FOTA updates while I was setting other things.

In the end I got version

WW_16.1220.1908.189_0

The Audio part is really disappointing.

Notifications audio volume is low.

In Call volume is low. It's impossible to understand anything if not in a complete silent room.

On the other side I got some report that even my voice is not clear and loud.

Audio for videos and music is good in volume but it's not Sharp, Clear.

Really there should be some issues on audio part.

My previous Asus Z3 was far better in these aspects.

I really hope that everything will be resolved in next updates.

Please make Happy Again for choosing the Zenfone Series.

Thanks

• With in call audio it's quite a long story, they were working on it for some time and I think they've done enough. I don't know why our experiences are so different. As for main speaker volume I don't see any major complaints recently.

• Did you install the new update that just rolled out today? Speak improvement or so the release notes say.

• On Asus Zenfone 6 Firmware website the latest available is .189 from 21 August.

I will wait for next update and I will try to flash the entire rom instead of using Fota updates.

Probably it's not relevant, just a try.

• The problem description you just gave us is not what everybody else have been complaining about. I would recommend you to factory reset your phone and if that doesn't help then please contact our support. You should definitely be able to hear what others are saying in a silent room and others should't have any issues with hearing you.

• Tomorrow I will try installing the latest update and to factory reset if nothing got improved.

Hoping to got everything solved without need to go for assistance.