Firmware version on Indian Handsets.

GamerArcGamerArc Level 2
edited August 2019 in ZenFone 6
I came to know though the forum that a new update is out ending in version No .189. Since I had not received the FOTA I decided to manually flash the official firmware.

I went to the release notes section to download the zip of the latest firmware and noticed that firmwares are seggregated by regions.
However it seems my device is not running IN version but the WW version. I have attached the screenshots below.

Can anyone confirm that which one is the official firmware for Indian devices??

Comments

• There is no difference in the different firmware releases. Most of the Indian phones run on the Worldwide (WW) SKU. This as some mods told me, is a way to ensure fast global updates. If your device is on the WW SKU, download strictly the WW firmwares, as the wrong SKU will result in failed updates and maybe software damages.
  • paras0710paras0710 Level 2
    edited August 2019
    Its working fine on my indian 256/8 GB phone. I updated manually.
  • i have not received the new update till now from india ww version
  • There is no difference in the different firmware releases. Most of the Indian phones run on the Worldwide (WW) SKU. This as some mods told me, is a way to ensure fast global updates. If your device is on the WW SKU, download strictly the WW firmwares, as the wrong SKU will result in failed updates and maybe software damages.
    I think the IN maybe indonesia...
    No I read Anders_ASUS' comment which said IN was for India
  • I think the IN maybe indonesia...
    I thought IN to be India since the Zenfone 6 was not launched in Indonesia. I am not sure though if it has been launched now.
  • paras0710 said:
    Oh that's news. I didn't know that the firmware can be downloaded irrespective of the regions.
  • If IN is really India then why am I running WW version. I got mine from flipkart. I think since its a flipkart exclusive so every indian set should be on same firmware. You guys running WW or IN??
    Is your firmware IN or WW??
  • paras0710 said:
    You flashed WW?? Ofcourse we will flash WW since indian sets seems to be on WW but just wanted to confirm what this IN version is.
  • GamerArcGamerArc Level 2
    edited August 2019
    There is no difference in the different firmware releases. Most of the Indian phones run on the Worldwide (WW) SKU. This as some mods told me, is a way to ensure fast global updates. If your device is on the WW SKU, download strictly the WW firmwares, as the wrong SKU will result in failed updates and maybe software damages.
    You sure bro?? Why would they have 2 versions for India?
  • paras0710 said:
    Oh that's news. I didn't know that the firmware can be downloaded irrespective of the regions.
    No no..he must have downloaded the same firmware he had. Do not mix version as of now. Better to confirm first.
    You sure bro?? Why would they have 2 versions for India?
    Yes man, I'm sure. I don't know why though, but that is what it is ?
  • paras0710 said:
    Be very careful man, If your phone has WW firmware, donot, DONOT!, download any other version. Same goes for IN firmware.
    @architgenius I'm on the WW SKU ?
  • Mods please confirm the difference between IN & WW. It is confusing.
  • paras0710paras0710 Level 2
    edited August 2019
    I think phone is smart enough to not install update if its not meant for your phone. I was not getting any new update through system update in settings so i download it from asus website and move the downloaded file to root folder as it is & restarted the phone you will get notification that update file is found click start update and it will go fine.
  • GamerArcGamerArc Level 2
    edited August 2019
    I have flashed ww189. No real improvement in the earpiece quality.
  • Mods should clarify the difference between IN and WW. Can indian sets running on ww flash IN safely?? Is IN even meant for India???
  • Mods should clarify the difference between IN and WW. Can indian sets running on ww flash IN safely?? Is IN even meant for India???
    No, they can't. If your phone has WW firmware image, it doesn't matter what your location is and weather your country has its own firmware image or not. You can and you should update to the WW firmware and strictly only WW firmware. You could do it manually without any risks at all. The IN firmware is not for your phone, it's for the limited phones running on IN image (which has no difference at all from the WW image). Go ahead with the manual update without any hesitation ?
  • Alpha2303Alpha2303 Level 1
    edited August 2019
    I'm not a mod here but hear me out.  This region based firmware is a concept used by Samsung as well. It helps developers keep the firmware according to region regulations as per my knowledge (please feel free to correct me). Its like how Xiaomi has separate firmware for their phones inside and out of China. So please make sure that the region code on your existing firmware and update file is the same else it will result in your phone entering a bricked state. If your phone has WW, which is globally neutral, then use only WW update and not any other region code like IN. There is practically no difference in performance or features whatsoever.