About music Volume

SaranSaran Level 2
edited September 2020 in ZenFone 6
When listening to music ,it becomes audible only after the volume is adjusted to 10th step where it should been at 7th step. A couple of friends also noted this. 

Comments

• Can you please explain again with other words? Are you listening through the speaker or headphones? The volume has 15 steps and I would say that the volume is very loud at step 10 though the speakers
  • Can you please explain again with other words? Are you listening through the speaker or headphones? The volume has 15 steps and I would say that the volume is very loud at step 10 though the speakers
    He says either about bluetooth or wired headphones. And I agree. Last 4 steps have very distinctive volume levels while it is too quiet for most headphones on volume < 8/15. My BT speaker connected to a Windows PC at 30% has comparable volume level to 9/15 here  which is over 50%. Quite a difference.
  • SaranSaran Level 2
    edited August 2019
    Can you please explain again with other words? Are you listening through the speaker or headphones? The volume has 15 steps and I would say that the volume is very loud at step 10 though the speakers
    Hi, the thing is most of us can't hear anything when volume is reduced below 8th step, whether it's through headphone or speaker, we can barely hear anything on the 5th step, the last 5 steps dramatically increases volume when compared to the first 10 steps. If we want to totally silence the audio , we don't have to reduce it to first or second step, we just have to reduce to 5th or 6th step . I do have a premium earphone and a cheap earphone and it all sound the same. No increase in audio between the first 8 steps. A recalibration needed for this. 
  • Saran said:
    Can you please explain again with other words? Are you listening through the speaker or headphones? The volume has 15 steps and I would say that the volume is very loud at step 10 though the speakers
    Hi, the thing is most of us can't hear anything when volume is reduced below 8th step, whether it's through headphone or speaker, we can barely hear anything on the 5th step, the last 5 steps dramatically increases volume when compared to the first 10 steps. If we want to totally silence the audio , we don't have to reduce it to first or second step, we just have to reduce to 5th or 6th step . I do have premium earphone and a cheap earphone and it all sound the same. No increase in audio between the first 8 steps. A recalibration needed for this. 
    Agreed. This is a problem many people seem to be facing. The volume change is not very consistent
  • I will forward that you want bigger steps in the beginning and smaller steps in the end. Thanks!
  • I will forward that you want bigger steps in the beginning and smaller steps in the end. Thanks!
    I think consistent gradient is needed rather than that
  • SaranSaran Level 2
    I will forward that you want bigger steps in the beginning and smaller steps in the end. Thanks!
    I think consistent gradient is needed rather than that
    Yes, the increase in volume must be consistent overall. 
  • Volume is a tricky thing. Here is a simplified example and lets say we are limited to 15 volume steps. If we want to increase  3dB with every step and headphones should be able to go all the way up to around 110dB, then we need to start at 68dB which is way too load. Ok, so let's say that we increase every step with 6dB, then we can start at 26dB and increase 6dB with every step. Then we will have people complaining that 26dB is still too load for the lowest setting and that a 6dB increase with every step is too much. 
    So you see, we can't have an even increase all the way. Don't worry, our software team will improve it if they decide that it's worth changing.
  • SaranSaran Level 2
    Volume is a tricky thing. Here is a simplified example and lets say we are limited to 15 volume steps. If we want to increase  3dB with every step and headphones should be able to go all the way up to around 110dB, then we need to start at 68dB which is way too load. Ok, so let's say that we increase every step with 6dB, then we can start at 26dB and increase 6dB with every step. Then we will have people complaining that 26dB is still too load for the lowest setting and that a 6dB increase with every step is too much. 
    So you see, we can't have an even increase all the way. Don't worry, our software team will improve it if they decide that it's worth changing.
    Got it, looking forward to it in the next update, thanks. 
  • edited August 2019
    The reply I got back from our developers is that we follow standard Google Volume control with 15 steps. If you check with a couple of other android phones you will notice that our steps are about the same in volume increase.
  • The reply I got back from our developers is that we follow standard Google Volume control with 15 steps. If you check with a couple of other android phones you will notice that our steps are about the same in volume increase.
    Xiaomi Redmi note 5, Huawei Mate 10 Pro and my previous Samsung Galaxy S6 - none of them is perfect but they are getting louder earlier on scale than Zenfone 6. Even if Google has it's standard it doesn't make any sense. I own 4 pairs of headphones (two in-ear (Asus and JBL) and two over ear (Philips and Sony)) and none is really usable below half of the volume scale. The same is with JBL Flip 4 via BT. What's the point of having such rough steps?
  • SaranSaran Level 2
    edited August 2019
    ColorSage said:
    The reply I got back from our developers is that we follow standard Google Volume control with 15 steps. If you check with a couple of other android phones you will notice that our steps are about the same in volume increase.
    Xiaomi Redmi note 5, Huawei Mate 10 Pro and my previous Samsung Galaxy S6 - none of them is perfect but they are getting louder earlier on scale than Zenfone 6. Even if Google has it's standard it doesn't make any sense. I own 4 pairs of headphones (two in-ear (Asus and JBL) and two over ear (Philips and Sony)) and none is really usable below half of the volume scale. The same is with JBL Flip 4 via BT. What's the point of having such rough steps?
    ya, this makes no sense, can't hear anything below 8th step. 
This discussion has been closed.