Asus Calling Screen [Annoy Screen]

Comments

• @CH_ASUS

But this thread is about proximity sensor (which turns display on automatically while on call even if user press power button to turn display off), not about gesture sensing control that can be turned on or off in the Settings

• CH_ASUSCH_ASUS admin
    edited December 2019

Yes, in the case of OnePlus 7 , they dont have a proximity sensor.

So their behavior is mimicked by gestures/motion and so on. But the point remains in that even if you press power key to turn off the screen during a call - the screen will still turn on by itself if you move it away from your ear to look at it. And that is also what Asus calling app does.

And same for Huawei.

That being said, we're in the middle of this topic internally - we havent forgotten - but as a fact - we are not the only vendor doing it this way.

• OK, so Asus is one of the few vendors who do it that way, but everyone else does it the normal way.

Since I would never buy Huawei and I do not want to buy One Plus, so I have never met with it.

I have personal experience with Sony, Nokia, Samsung, Motorola, LG, Nexus, Xiaomi over past 9 years so far and Asus ZenFone 6 is my first Android phone with this - I am sorry to say it - strange behaviour.

• We are not arguing with anyone here that you think this behavior is weird / illogical. I believe it is perfectly right for you (and others in this thread) to not like this behaviour in the Call Screen.

However I wanted to set it straight that Asus is not "the only one" as some make it seem (I really haven't tried the other vendors yet on Android 10, if they made changes over time).

Either way, the key is still that we are at least discussing this internally and hopefully it would lead to a re-think of the logics in place.

• Either way, the key is still that we are at least discussing this internally and hopefully it would lead to a re-think of the logics in place.

Thank you very much.

One additional remark: Name of this thread is Asus Calling Screen [Annoy Screen], which might give the impression that this applies only to Asus Dialer, but it is not true. This is a system level issue and affects any installed dialer. I use the Google Phone dialer myself as on my previous phones and once again encounter this behavior, when the screen keeps on illuminating during a call, even though I turned it off with the power button, as I used to from all my previous phones.

I have solved this ZF6 issue myself by using a bluetooth headset through which I handle calls, so I do not have to deal with any screen lighting and ignoring power button state at all, but I would like to see when the calls could be handled in the normal way with future updates :)

But when I criticize this Asus behaviour here, I have to say one thing: ZF6 is my best cell phone, which I have ever had, and this discussion forum is very helpful, with very very competent and knowledgeable moderators answering user questions. I really appreciate such support from the manufacturer, Thank you once more.

• If we park the issues that some experience with proximity sensor (not being as consistent as it could) - are there more usecases for when you'd want the screen to not turn on by proximity? (as to warrant the manual ovveride of power key).

I guess I can think of some, but more scenarios as a reference is always helpful. (Other than "simply because I want to" which I guess is a valid reason too in a way).

• are there more usecases for when you'd want the screen to not turn on by proximity? (as to warrant the manual ovveride of power key).

I can't think of any situation other than during a phone call with my screen at my ear.

In my opinion, this scenario can never happen other than during a phone call or am I wrong?

I guess I can think of some

I wonder what situation you mean :)

• Hi Team,

3 Main major issues are

1. Actually the functionality is not working properly. In call screen, when I press the power button and move away the phone from the ear sometimes the display is in off state until I press it again but sometimes display on, so it is so weird.

2. In call screen, if I slightly move the phone nearby ear within fraction of second the display turned on. This should not happen, we are suggesting to turn on the display after few seconds.

3. Also I have to move to the phone very close to my ear then only the promixity got enabled and display goes off.

These are the three major issue Im facing. By the way I have checked the promixity test and it is working fine.

• CH_ASUSCH_ASUS admin
    edited December 2019

There are a few things at play here I believe;

1. Some users want Power Key to override proximity fully. If press power key for off = display should remain off for the entirety of the time, until next press.

This scenario, I am wondering what use cases there are. Except to "mitigate" any problems experienced by proximity sensor.

2. Proximity sensor does not work as stable as it could.

Here the solution is more difficult, the proximity sensor is not placed in the center, due to flip camera - and other space constraints. The sensor detection is not as high as our "previous" proximity sensors, also due to the physical limitations. The option would have been to skip a proximity sensor completely - as some other vendors have done.

As for issue 2 - we also encounter the bug that even if you turn it off in the Call Screen settings, it will correctly "not turn off the screen" when put against the ear. Meaning you need to press the power key to turn it off manually.

However it will still react and turn the screen on- when you move it away from the ear.

This should be addressed. Proximity off should mean proximity off (both ways).

As for issue 2 in regards to its working stability, as Alaudeen mention, perhaps a slight delay would also help resolve some stability issues as for it to not react so quickly.. but then you have the added side-effect that it wouldnt turn off the screen so quickly either.

• However it will still react and turn the screen off - when you move it away from the ear.

Should be:

However it will still react and turn the screen on - when you move it away from the ear.

• So far I can deduce, the real root cause of the troubles are that the proximity sensor is inconsistent.

Not that power key does what it does. (Which also isnt Asus unique). As there seems to be very few use-cases where this function has a real benefit -> except to correct inconsistent proximity sensor limitations.

• So far I can deduce, the real root cause of the troubles are that the proximity sensor is inconsistent.

That is true, but let's be honest with each other, I very much doubt that the problems with the proximity sensor will be solved (with all its limiting factors like location, sensitivity, ...), so ensuring a standard Power button behavior during call would be a quick and easy solution.

• I have performed many tests with the proximity sensor during a call and I do not observe a malfunction. I think with certainty that there is some software problem. I tried to separate it from the face and the screen did not turn on, it has to move it from the ear but whenever it is close to any other part of the face the screen does not activate. The ignitions are random, even with the sensor correctly placed in the ear. I really believe that there is some kind of software interaction that causes this to work abnormally.

• I think that the proximity sensor issue is more of a hardware issue. Most of the people are right-handed and keep the phone in the right hand near the right ear. And the sensor itself is located to the right of the speaker mesh. Thus the actual position of the sensor is too far from the point where it fits the ear tight. The sensor only "sees" bottom-back part of an ear and frequently looses it from the sight. As a result the screen turns on during the call.

If I keep the phone in my left hand near my left ear I have zero false screen wake ups because the sensor fits the ear tight.

As a workaround (the real fix is impossible in my opinion because you cannot physically move the sensor) in further updates Asus should provide the following options for the proximity sensor:

1. Standard mode - the sensor and the power button works just like in the current firmware.
    2. Power button override mode. If the power button is pressed then the screen won't turn on until the button is pressed again or a call is ended no matter what data the sensor sends.
    3. First actuation mode. The screen turns off as soon as the sensor "sees" something nearby for the first time and never turns back on until the power button is pressed or a call is ended.

It would be great if I am mistaken and the sensor can be adjusted with a software patch.

• I disagree. The tests I did show that sometimes the screen turns on without the ear sensor being separated. I also did tests in which separating it to a limit, the screen remained off without any problem. If the problem were hardware or the position of the sensor, it would always obtain the same results when performing the same tests and under the same conditions, however it is not so, and under the same circumstances, the tests obtain different results. Sometimes with the sensor fully attached to the ear, the screen turns on intermittently, and on other occasions it does not occur. I repeat, when it works correctly it is proof that the hardware does not present problems. Can there be interactions with other sensors? With the fingerprint sensor for example?

• So far we observe one clear thing;

If you turn off proximity sensor in the call screen settings , it will;

Not turn off screen if you cover the proximity sensor during a call (try putting a thumb over it, screen stays on).

If you tthen press power key to turn it off - it will be Off.

However , if you move the phone or move your thumb over and off the sensor , it will turn the screen on.

This specific case has been raised internally, so that if you turn proximity off in the Call Screen settings, it should generally remain off.

As for all other cases, proximity inconsistencies, we'll feedback and hopefully devs can improve that.

• I think its the screen protectors which are interfering with the procimity sensor...msy be..not sure.... Byt while setting up the fone, a warning saying that screen protector inteferes with the sensor did come up...

Anybody????

• I have no screen protector installed, and the case is the original.

• _jis__jis_ Level 5
    edited December 2019

I don't use any screen protector and I have problems despite using original hard transparent cover or naked phone.

This discussion has been closed.