Call, handsfree and vibrate issues

ZenZoom
Star I
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: Zenfone 9
Firmware Version: 33.2050.2050.29
Rooted or not: Not
Frequency of Occurrence: Every time
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): Phone (call/dialer)
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
I'm having the following most annoying issues:

More often than not the sound of the calling party "stays" in the earpiece of the phone, when I take a call using bluetooth handsfree in my car, instead of going to the speakers. This never happens when I'm the one calling someone else.
Often the phone keeps vibrating all through the phonecall, doesn't stop when I pick up the call - happens both on handsfree and using stand alone. I can make it stop by turning off the screen of the phone.
When phone is connected to bluetooth and audio is enabled on the connection, it seems like something is off with the AVRCP handling in the phone and it takes over function of buttons in the car - like the play/pause button of the car is mapped to Google Assistant and the skip forward button maybe works for 2-3 songs then music is paused at the next press and have to be restarted on the car screen. I never stream music from the phone, I use the Spotify and Youtube Music app in the car. I know it seems like it's the car doing this (it has Android Automotive) but I'm confident it's not, because this doesn't happen with any other phone I've had connected to the same car, only the Zenfone 9. Currently I have disabled audio streaming on the bluetooth profile in the phone, I has stopped this for now. But it shouldn't work like this.

5 REPLIES 5

Netbox
Star III
I have a "similar" problem (same firmware etc)

My ZF9 connects to car (Peugeot 308 GTi) looks ok, can select contacts etc and everything looks good.
But if I make a call the car dials the contact, then just looks like it's not connected and returns to the dial screen (like it's not connected).

However if I look at my phone, it has actually made the call but I cannot hear anything. If I check my phone it shows as connected and shows as audio via Bluetooth but there's nothing coming out of the cars speakers because the car doesn't think it's connected.

If I then manually switch to phone speaker I can hear the caller.

Obviously some bug introduced in the last firmware update because it was working fine last week before this recent OTA update.

having a same issue regarding calls, handfeed and vibration issue and try to solve it many time but still not handled.
regards

Mattias_ASUS
Thanks for the information!
Will forward this to R&D so they can take a look at it.

ZenZoom
Star I
Also discovered that on some calls I take on the phone (earpiece) there's no sound from the calling party, but they can hear me.
Also had an experience, where it kept moving the sound from the calling party around. Started taking a call then putting on handsfree speaker (in the phone), then it moved the sound to my watch (yes it works as handsfree too), then I put it back on phone speaker, then a few minutes later it went to the earpiece, again by itself.
My take on this problem:
Look at the sound routing and handling and handling of handsfree profiles.
Possibly also look into making it possible to disable VoLTE/VoWiFi, I have a sneaking feeling this also causes some of the problems with no sound.
I disabled this on my old phone for this specific reason.