This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If there are a lot of complaints regarding the PM8150 chip failure....

honix5962
Star I
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name:ASUS_I001DE
Firmware Version: WW-16.0631.1910.64
Rooted or not: Yes
Frequency of Occurrence: A lot! (Approx. 1 Lap in Monoposto on Highest, 60FPS Setting)
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):N/A
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
So, if there are a lot of complaints regarding the PM8150 chip failure, why isn't ASUS not issuing free repairs for those who have been affected?
I trust ASUS in their Desktop Hardware, being using their Motherboards since 2008 and because of that trust, I chose their ROG Phone 2. But after seeing a lot of people with the same phone having the same dreaded shutdown issue which is caused by the same chip failing to do its job, And hearing some ROG 5 users having similar problems I'm confused if I should invest in their new ROG 6D Ultimate.
3 REPLIES 3

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
The 6D might be good, we don't have enough information just yet, the regular Rog6 is basicially the same clown fiesta as the Rog5.
To be fair, the rog2 power IC itself isnt really defective in most cases, it's just slowly undoing itself from the PCB, if you point a heatgun at it, the phone will very likely work again.

honix5962
Star I
Danishblunt

The 6D might be good, we don't have enough information just yet, the regular Rog6 is basicially the same clown fiesta as the Rog5.

To be fair, the rog2 power IC itself isnt really defective in most cases, it's just slowly undoing itself from the PCB, if you point a heatgun at it, the phone will very likely work again.

View post
I'll look into this. I have already given the phone to a guy that does chip level repairs and he's saying the shutdown issue is due to the battery. tbh idk if that makes any sense lol.
He's gonna give me the phone back on Monday anyways. If he hasn't figured out a way to fix it I will try to reflow the power IC using the heat gun like you mentioned.
Thanks for your reply

ASUS_Bot
Rising Star II
Thread automatically closed due to inactivity. If the reported issue has not been resolved or you require further assistance from one of our moderators, please create a new thread and we will be with you shortly.