cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Headphone volume control not working - ZenFone 8

chrisbepost
Star II
Hi there,
I have a Sennheiser PMX 685i wired headphone. It connects via the 3.5mm jack and has an inline microphone and controls. The play/pause button is working fine. However, the volume up/down controls aren't working. How can I enable volume control via the headphone on the ZenFone 8?
5 REPLIES 5

Mattias_ASUS
Hello!
From what I remember the PMX 685i is the model made for Apple devices, and while sound work normally as intended, there are some more issues that are created by the 3.5 decision on Apple's side.
This is why some years ago they had so many "Made for iPhone" and "Made for Android" products because they are not compatible with each other.
image.png

chrisbepost
Star II
Thanks. That's interesting. Never heard about that. Didn't expect that anyone would make such a simple thing so complicated. But Apple clearly did. I know the 686 model is sold in an Android and an Apple variant. But never understood why. Now I know. I read a bit more about the CTIA vs OMTP Implementation of the TRRS cable standard for headphones (search for those keywords).
Sounds like a readily available converter cable that switches the ring and sleeve could solve it. Provided the custom Apple signal variation isn't throwing a spanner in the works somehow. I've ordered some online and will post results.

willjoe2442
Star III
If the issue persists, we suggest that you update your device's sound driver. To do this, Open Start, enter Device Manager, and select it from the list of results. Under Sound, video, and game controllers, select your sound card, open it, select the Driver tab, and select Update Driver.

Hope this helps

chrisbepost
Star II
willjoe2442

If the issue persists, we suggest that you update your device's sound driver. To do this, Open Start, enter Device Manager, and select it from the list of results. Under Sound, video, and game controllers, select your sound card, open it, select the Driver tab, and select Update Driver.

Hope this helps

View post
Hmm, sounds like advice for a computer running Windows 🤔. This is about an Android phone.