Fix for Volte on Android 12 for rog phone 3

Comments

• GT500GT500 Level 1

The manufacturer can't patch a vulnerability that Google doesn't if they aren't even updating their devices. ASUS isn't even giving us the monthly security updates that Google is releasing, whereas Samsung is giving their customers those monthly security updates. Also, just because Samsung patched a vulnerability before Google did doesn't mean that ASUS is doing the same thing.

As for LineageOS, a volunteer would have to make firmware images for your device, and ASUS phones don't usually get support from them. Oddly enough someone does appear to have made a firmware image for the ROG Phone 3, however I don't want to risk bricking my phone in the hopes that I'll somehow get better support from an open source project via firmware images made by a volunteer.

• Wrong. everyone has access to the repos, if google ignores commits that are important to the security, then it's not the manufacturers problem. They can recompile their firmware as much as they want.

ASUS did patch before google did on some occasions. You can verify that yourself on their kernel sources on the support page.

GSI Roms are always compatible from the getgo, so you could also use those, LineageOs was just an example from my side. Also there are way more roms than you think:

Also another issue alltogether, you seem to be under the impression that being up 2 date every month is somehow significantly more secure than every 2 months, I hate to dissapoint you but the amount of vulnerabilities that are high and critical are still extremely high after you updated to the very latest security update. Wheter you have 3500vulnurabilities or 3450 doesnt really change that much.

Another thing u're completely disregarding is this:

https://www.samnews24.com/2022/07/07/samsung-july-2022-security-patch-details-released/

Depending on system youll be exposed to even more exploits and the manufacturer have to deal with them on their own as well. For all you know Oneplus might have an insanely critical exploit from their side while your android secure package might be updated to July.

Google sometimes cant really be bothered to add critical fixes either:

Honestly, I dont even know why you make a big deal out of it. wheter its 1 month or every 1.5month, makes no difference.

• GT500GT500 Level 1

You seem to be quoting random articles about how Google didn't patch a vulnerability fast enough, and claiming that this is somehow proof that third-party phones are somehow more secure than vanilla Android even if they don't bother distributing security patches every month. I'm reasonably certain that you don't know what you're talking about, and I think it's time to end this conversation and stop hijacking this topic.

• How brave of you to still want a phone from ASUS after this shitshow.

• Quoting random articles, aka showcasing multiple examples on the issue that google themselves take ages to implement fixes, which is very easy to confirm by literally taking the reported CVE's and check on googles own tracker. Taking over 6 months to accept a commit into their repo is just abysmal, but you probably don't even understand what that means anyways.

Its clear you don't really know what you're talking about. At this point I'd be shocked if you could navigate around in googles repos.

Since youre clueless and this is probably going to be interesting for some, I'll explain to you why google taking 2 months to add a fix to a 0 day vulnerability is abysmal and unacceptable. Most exploits are found by researchers or the companies providing the systems/drivers and whatnot. They are the vast majority of vulnerabilities found, while some are marked as "critical" nobody has actually misused them or the like so in the time they are being fixed, they are not dangerous until hackers discovers them. Taking time on these exploits (which asus sometimes does) is no problem whatsoever.

The term "0 day exploit" originates from the fact that hackers aka malicious prople are abusing an exploit and the developers have had 0 days to fix it since they can't fix anything they werent aware of. One of these exploits got reported and ignored for 2 months. You can cry as much as you want about ASUS being late to add patches to vulnerabilities that arent exploited all you want, but when google ignores something for a longer period that is being actively exploited then your idea of security is pathethic.

Yes, major companies dont care about security as much as they should.

Yes, it's actually sad that we are in this state.

and yes, security shouldnt be based on what company feels like implementing, if you want a secure phone without major vulnerabilities, get a noka 3210. There are just way 2 many exploits due to way 2 many drivers, hardware components and whatnot to keep up, however the priority should always be 0 day exploits = top, the fact google don't seem to always get that is weird.

However:

In the last few years, google has upped the anti and so has ASUS and other companies as well. Security is getting better and better and is being taken more serious, however there are some serious implementation issues that needs solving first, the fact phones typically don't get updates after roughlu 3-4 years is just sad to say the least. I think Samsung is the only android phone manufacterer that actually keeps a much longer software support lifespan, sadly they are anti consumer in many ways such as repair.

In the end, we as the consumer are pretty fked. However companies like ASUS are more pro consumer but lack ressources to deliver excellent service.

• What other gaming smartphone works well with T-Mobile? I was planning on buying the ROG Phone 6 but I don't think I trust ASUS with a paycheck anymore... Highly disappointed. On top of this phone-breaking "Update," a tech support guy attempted to get me to send the phone in (ie. pay the $85 "Diagnostic Fee" and pay for "Hardware repairs.") Never again.

• Quoting random articles, aka showcasing multiple examples on the issue that google themselves take ages to implement fixes, which is very easy to confirm by literally taking the reported CVE's and check on googles own tracker. Taking over 6 months to accept a commit into their repo is just abysmal, but you probably don't even understand what that means anyways.

Its clear you don't really know what you're talking about. At this point I'd be shocked if you could navigate around in googles repos.

Since youre clueless and this is probably going to be interesting for some, I'll explain to you why google taking 2 months to add a fix to a 0 day vulnerability is abysmal and unacceptable. Most exploits are found by researchers or the companies providing the systems/drivers and whatnot. They are the vast majority of vulnerabilities found, while some are marked as "critical" nobody has actually misused them or the like so in the time they are being fixed, they are not dangerous until hackers discovers them. Taking time on these exploits (which asus sometimes does) is no problem whatsoever.

The term "0 day exploit" originates from the fact that hackers aka malicious prople are abusing an exploit and the developers have had 0 days to fix it since they can't fix anything they werent aware of. One of these exploits got reported and ignored for 2 months. You can cry as much as you want about ASUS being late to add patches to vulnerabilities that arent exploited all you want, but when google ignores something for a longer period that is being actively exploited then your idea of security is pathethic.

Yes, major companies dont care about security as much as they should.

Yes, it's actually sad that we are in this state.

and yes, security shouldnt be based on what company feels like implementing, if you want a secure phone without major vulnerabilities, get a noka 3210. There are just way 2 many exploits due to way 2 many drivers, hardware components and whatnot to keep up, however the priority should always be 0 day exploits = top, the fact google don't seem to always get that is weird.

However:

In the last few years, google has upped the anti and so has ASUS and other companies as well. Security is getting better and better and is being taken more serious, however there are some serious implementation issues that needs solving first, the fact phones typically don't get updates after roughlu 3-4 years is just sad to say the least. I think Samsung is the only android phone manufacterer that actually keeps a much longer software support lifespan, sadly they are anti consumer in many ways such as repair.

In the end, we as the consumer are pretty fked. However companies like ASUS are more pro consumer but lack ressources to deliver excellent

• I live in Turkey, I made an update and still volte vofii is not working. please help me. Even Xiaomi made in china works Asus does not work 😭😭😭💣💣💣🔥🔥🔥

• I live in Turkey, I made an update and still volte vofii is not working. please help me. Even Xiaomi made in china works Asus does not work 😭😭😭💣💣💣🔥🔥🔥

• BPMBPM Level 3

I don't know what bands other phones support, but best to compare them to T-Mobile's list of network bands:

Prior to the ROG Phone 3, I had owned the Razer Phone 2. I debated between it and the ROG Phone 1, and went with Razer since the ROG Phone didn't support all of T-Mobile's 4G bands.

However, the ROG Phone 3 supports all of T-Mobile's 4G bands, as well as their low- and mid-band 5G (n71 and n41, respectively), so here I am. It doesn't support high-band/MMwave for any carrier, but I think MMwave is kinda pointless anyways (each "tower" has a range of one block, and the signal can't penetrate walls or windows).

• Remember when you posted about the voLTE and voWifi thing? Idk why but I had brainfart then, its completely normal for it to only have 1 thing working at a time since its the exact same feature just on a different network. It would literally make 0 sense to have both on at the same time otherwise the other person would hear you twice.

Have to agree with you on the mmwave thing, linus made a speedtest where the signal literally dropped completely by an umbrella, holding phone with a hoodie on and a christmass tree decoration ball . Then the worst part is, his results (topped around 850mb/s dl) were even without obsticles worse than N71 bands here (~1.05gb/s dl).

• BPMBPM Level 3

Cool, makes sense to me. As another test, I set Wi-Fi as the calling preference (so the IMS status is VoLTE unavailable/VoWiFi available), and then turned off Wi-Fi. That automatically switched the IMS status (VoLTE available/VoWiFi unavailable). So yeah, I think you're right that this is normal.

• volte still not working i live in turkey i did an update and it still doesn't work???

• Good lord your ignorance and delusion knows no bounds. It won't work for you, ever.

ASUS never sold officially the phones in your country, hence no VoLTE support. They will not invest ressources to make VoLTE work in a country they don't support for a handful of people who decided to import tencent phones.

Now stop posting nonsense.

• ktwktw Level 2

hey @hllsynotebook , in order for the phone to get VoLTE service, it has to:

1. support the VoLTE feature;
    2. get support from your carriers/service providers, which requires some work between ASUS and the carriers/service providers.

Although ROG Phone 3 does have the VoLTE feature, if it is not officially imported and sold in your country (which I believe is the case for Turkey?), ASUS won't be working with your carriers to enable support for VoLTE. The sad truth, but there's nothing you can do about it.

Theoretically, you can do some XDA hacks to force enable it, but that also means that you'll have to take the risk of bricking your device if something goes wrong. You can either try that path, or simply buy another phone that gets VoLTE support from your carriers 😕.

• Idiot, ignorant Asus does not need to sell it officially in Turkey. There is a pixel phone that is not sold in Turkey for volte support, but volte works, Asus does not. ignorant horned

• There is volte support in Turkey and it works on other phones

This discussion has been closed.