Proximity sensor problem during conversation

Comments

• Sometimes there is call after call and sometimes all day long he is gone

• For me, the error is sometimes the entire call per call, and sometimes once every few hours

• @StealthRequiem

Please send the logs from Your phone to @Mattias_ASUS If more people send logs, there is a greater chance that they will finally fix the bug. I think only I sent, no one else, and a lot of people have the same problem

Please follow the below steps to enable the built-in log tool (Bug reporter).

1.  Open “Calculator APP”

2.  Enter “.19595+=”

3.  Select the Log type according to the type of issue you want to capture. “General cases” will work for most issues.

4.  After your selection the log tool will exit so you can duplicate the issue or wait for it to happen. Try to use the screen recorder to show your issue when possible. If you can't screen record your issue, then please take a screenshot right after the issue has occurred (as a timestamp) so we know where to look in the log.

5.  Navigate back to the log tool via calculator and Tap "FINISH AND SHARE".

6. It takes several minutes for the log to generate. You can exit and do other stuff in the meantime. A silent notification will tell you once the process is done. Tap the notification and then the share button to upload the file to Google Drive and share the link with a moderator. Just make sure to change the permission first so that everyone with the link has permission to view it.

Note: When you're no longer planning on logging your device, enter “.09595+=” in the calculator and the log tool will stop as well as deleting all stored log files. Make sure to share via calculator. The files found in internal storage -> asus_log are not the correct files (they are only 1.2kb)

• Can anyone else confirm this? Is this happening when you are recording calls? with the Leave the screen ON option on?

• Now the option "keep screen on while recording" I have turned off. Unfortunately, the bug has occurred much more frequently in the last few days. I do not know what it depends on. It looks a bit as if after changing any settings on the phone it decreased for some time, and then it intensifies again

• No, it is not related to the recording of calls. It also occurs when call is not recorded.

• Perhaps this is the wrong sensitivity of the proximity sensor? Sometimes, when the phone moves slightly behind the ear, the screen can also light up.

• No, it is not related to the recording of call. It occurs also when the call is not recorded.

• steve02steve02 Level 2

i have never recorded a call and it happends constantly to me!

• edited October 7

The issue will not disappear only by saying it exists, we are actively working on this and at this moment we need logs from users with the issue and to log the activity when it's happening, remember, the more logs and info the faster it will be to solve the issue, just like anything else.

Please follow the below steps to enable the built-in log tool (Bug reporter).

1.  Open “Calculator APP”

2.  Enter “.19595+=”

3.  Select the Log type according to the type of issue you want to capture. “General cases” will work for most issues.

4.  After your selection the log tool will exit so you can duplicate the issue or wait for it to happen. Try to use the screen recorder to show your issue when possible. If you can't screen record your issue, then please take a screenshot right after the issue has occurred (as a timestamp) so we know where to look in the log.

5.  Navigate back to the log tool via calculator and Tap "FINISH AND SHARE".

6. It takes several minutes for the log to generate. You can exit and do other stuff in the meantime. A silent notification will tell you once the process is done. Tap the notification and then the share button to upload the file to Google Drive and share the link with a moderator. Just make sure to change the permission first so that everyone with the link has permission to view it.

Note: When you're no longer planning on logging your device, enter “.09595+=” in the calculator and the log tool will stop as well as deleting all stored log files. Make sure to share via calculator. The files found in internal storage -> asus_log are not the correct files (they are only 1.2kb)

• martinparker28martinparker28 Level 2
    edited October 7

Perhaps when you've sorted this for the Zenfone 8 you can also sort it for the Zenfone 9......its pathetic that this should be happening in both a previous model and now in the latest Zenfone 9. Oh and by the way this thread was started on May 23rd and its still going on 😡

• I am wondering if the problem has something to do with notifications? Sometimes I get the issue immediately and other times I am on the call for a little while before the screen wakes up while my face is next to the phone.

Maybe there is a way to toggle notifications off before making a call to test this theory?

• i think you are right. in my experience it happens alot when i get a notification during the call! i also posted it somewhere but i'm not sure if the developers paid attention to this.

• Same issue here. It might indeed be related to notifications waking up the screen.

• In this thread and the logs I sent, are all the information need to fix the problem by intelligent people. They haven't fixed it in months, and they ignore problem. I will definitely never buy anything from this pathetic Asus company again.

• Maybe if I turn off wifi and data and make a call that will lower the chances of a notification in order to test this.

I tried installing disabling the preinstalled phone and contacts app and installing Google's, downloading a proximity sensor app and cleaning the phone with no success.

The phone is a lovely piece of hardware. Pity.

• I am playing around with the Apps & Notifications section and I am seeing some promising results. I turned on Notification history and turned off most of the notification permission for the apps. I was just on a long call and it worked.

• After trying everything - proximity sensor apps, changing phone and contact apps, changing case, playing around with notifications - and nothing working I decided to take out a sim as I use two sims in the phone and so far I have not had any of the issues I did before.

Any chance you also use 2 sims?

The reason I chose this phone was for the dual sim so if indeed it is something to do with having 2 sims that will be hard to swallow but I am glad so far that the proximity problems have gone away.

• I have one SIM and the fault is, so dual SIM does not matter.

• mattlemattle Level 1

I just had an incoming WhatsApp call. The other person then didn't hang up. I couldn't do anything, as my screen would turn black, every time I try to touch the screen. Same happens sometimes when I am listening to a voice note, and then try to do something else, while it is still playing. That sensor is useless.