Rog Phone II + Mobile desktop dock issues.
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
- Model Name: Rog Phone II (ZS660KL) & Desktop dock (ZS600KLD)
- Firmware Version: QKQ1.190825.002.WW_Phone-17.0240.2108.103
- Rooted or not: No
- Frequency of Occurrence: 100%
- APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): Firefox for android: 93.2.0. Firefox nightly: 95.0a1
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
I received my mobile desktop dock a few days ago, and I am pretty disappointed for now. I wanted to use it in the office to be more efficient on both my PC and phone (especially for messaging). However, I ran into the following issues:
1) Of all three modes proposed, none of them work for my application:
a) Mirror mode is not optimized for large screens. The "small" setting in "scaling" is still way too big, and has to be manually reverted when the phone is unplugged.
b) Twinview is still too big, because it is optimized for a smaller screen
c) Tablet view is the closest to working, but it has a fatal flaw that I can't see how to correct: I normally use Firefox, but Firefox is broken in Tablet mode on Rog Phone II with mobile desktop dock (you have to take this entire sentence to specify the problem).
Why? because the mouse buttons are not mapped properly:
- left clicking on a link opens the context menu as if it had been right clicked.
- right click does nothing
- middle click is like left click
As a result, simply doing a google search in private mode has you stuck, because you have to left click the "I accept" button and it does not react to software right clicks. You can't even click on the phone screen because they are not mirrored in this mode.
There is no such glitch in Chrome for android. This might mean that the problem lies with how Firefox's rendering engine, tablet mode, and mice in Android, interact.
2) Desktop mode from Android 10 seems disabled, and even the workaround mentioned here: (search "desktop_mode_for_asus_rog_phone_3")
Is stuck at first step because Freeform windows are not supported on the Rog Phone 2 (search "how-to-use-freeform-windows")
3) Patching the displayport from my laptop to a displayport cable to my screen causes flickering when in PC mode, but not in mobile mode. Only converting the displayport from my laptop to hdmi from the dock to the screen, works. Both cables work otherwise when used directly from laptop to screen, and I've checked the solidity of the connections a zillion times.
4) So now my questions:
a) is the mouse button an issue, an issue from the Tablet mode, or an issue from the rendering engine of Firefox? Who can correct it? Where to formally file the bug? Can I force map the buttons myself somehow?
b) Is there any other way (as of October 2021) to have a large display, compatible with office use (small fonts and images), outside of tablet mode, with the Rog Phone 2?
That's really a pity because as it is, the dock is almost useless to me.
Thank you for your help on this.