Version: 0605
Release Date: 02/28/2009
Characteristics:
ISA is supported
PCI is supported
PNP is supported
APM is supported
BIOS is upgradeable

I'm having problem with built-in Ez Flash utillity, i did read that i must have USB - pendrive inside USB slot and download - write the 1104.ROM file to the root of the usb drive. My problem that occurs is that USB device is found, and file is read but the problem here is that it never complete's reading the file. It says reading file 1000HE. I sent pictures on how it looks like for me the experience of the issue i'm having, and a picture of the desired results on how it should look like and how it should proceed in a chronilogical order. So in a brief summary, what i want to achive , i want to update - flash bios from version 0605 to 1104, and i have not succeded with built-in ez flash utillity, i did try to install Windows 7 and try the Ez flash utillity V3 but without results. Now i'm asking for advice how to do this, either from Linux environment or from FreeDOS environment, preferably Linux environment. Thank you sincerly for all advice to complete legacy BIOS flash. How can i achive and write the latest update properly from within Linux environment or FreeDOS?

When i searched for google, one of the answers that was found is from the following website
DebianEeePC - How to upgrade BIOS.
"1000HE only available with windows OS: Successfully updated bios with 1000HE.ROM revision 1002, solved acpi issue reading temperature with linux 2.6.32 " - Unfortunatly i have not been able to flash new bios from within W7 X86 (32 bit).

asus-bios-update -- Dertosh update parsing
Github python script,
Expects 2 values - only outputs one from 1000HE
The actual error looks like

sysop@1000HE:/tmp
$ sudo python3.7 /tmp/dertosh-asus-update-parser.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "/tmp/dertosh-asus-update-parser.py", line 63, in
  os.popen('dmidecode -s bios-version').read()[:-1]).split('.')
ValueError: not enough values to unpack (expected 2, got 1)
Also when reading through this CODE, it refers to a folder called /BOOT/EFI, and this EFI i don't have - i think it's a strange script because this explciit machine has Legacy BIOS and is not UEFI based.

When i execute dmidecode manually it gives me 1 result = 0605
$ sudo dmidecode -s bios-version

I'm asking for advice, and i'm asking for help from both Debian community and from ASUS Software department regarding this, since this is a engineering question. I also ask and appriciate if we can disclosure this and compile - re-write support using template for EEePC 700 - Hence flashrom -L |grep EEePC gives me EEePC 700 and the word "BAD" Meaning, bad support - not supportive. I'm asking for advice and guidelines how to make this work, and how to resolve this - and document the solution.

As a last point as an emergency , i'm also asking for support IF there's any guideline or procedure using FreeDOS (AFUDOS) to achieve what i want to achieve, i tried that aswell but it gives me an error claiming that i need to run AFUDOS /I /O since i didn't find enough information regarding this method, i didn't go through that path.

To explain further on.. what BIOS is, what UEFI is, why it's beeing used and for what reason it's beeing used i must pedagogically advice people to see, youtube /watch?v=zIYkol851dU

6 REPLIES 6

Blake_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hi there,
Can you help to try 0607 first? not jumping to 1104 in one step.
Let's see if it works.
Thank you.

richiie89
Star I
One step closer to actually flash the BIOS, From within FreeDOS Live session (Running through USB pen drive) i was able to run AFUDOS utillity - downloaded and saved in the root folder of the pen-drive, and from within the live session i was able to run the following command:

afudos.exe /i1000HE.ROM /ooutput.ROM

I will proceed install FreeDOS to this explicit machine on this harddrive and then re-run the above command using afudos with the arguments. The above was run using FreeDOS Live CD from within LIVE environment

richiie89
Star I

Blake_ASUS

Hi there,

Let's see if it works.

Thank you.

View post
Hello, i did successful write BIOS flash 0607 to this machine. i attached pictures what i had to do in order to write sucessful

1) Within Rufus create bootable MS-DOS USB-Pendrive
2) On the root folder of this USB-pendrive, save write ROM File desired to update, Both 0607.ROM and appropriate AFUDOS file in order to start the progress.
3) Power on machine, during boot press escape and boot to MS-Dos environment, from inside within MS-DOS environment, i had to execute the following command in order to start the BIOS Flash
afudos.exe /i0607.ROM /ooutput.ROM

Will continue using the same method and go chronological order until i reach 1104
Thank sincerly in advice will give summary how it goes.

richiie89
Star I
Blake_ASUS

Hi there,

Let's see if it works.

Thank you.

View post
Thank you sincerly for your advice . Yes i was able to run AFUDOS from in within MS-DOS success result flashing 0607.ROM - First i had to create a Bootable MS-DOS USB (Not FreeDOS didn't work from within there)
After i had a finished USB-Pen drive with MS-DOS running, i saved the necessary ROM files in order to proceed with BIOS flash upgrade. i will continue to flash 1104 after i power down and verify that i'm running 0607. Thank you again sincerly