Zenbook only boots to BIOS, seems to "forget" boot device

1. System: Arch Linux
  2. Battery or AC: both
  3. Model: UM325AU
  4. Frequency of occurrence: once every so many days
  5. Reset OS: no difference
  6. Screenshot or video:

========================

Bios seems to forget the Boot device every so often. The machine cn work for a while and boot up just fine, but out of nowhere, it will boot to the Bios. In the Bios, there is no Boot device to be found. Once I create a new one and point to the correct location on the hdd, all is fine for a while again.

Why is this happening, and how can I prevent the Bios from loosing the boot device?

thanks,

Hendrik-Jan

Comments

• Additional question: do you see this happening with Windows too?

I would expect so, as this seems to be a BIOS issue, not an OS issue.

• Hello Hendrik,

Is the hard disk, SSD or HDD from factory?

Thank you.

• Hello Blake_Asus,

good question. I indeed put in another M2 SSD, as the factory one only has 512Gb.

I replaced it with a Samsung 980 Pro T1b (MZ-V8P1T0BW).

thank you,

Hendrik-Jan

• Hello Hendrik,

Can you install the original back and see if device or BIOS is working fine?

Thank you.

• Thank you Blake_ASUS,

I will test this. not sure how fast I can get you feedback, as mentioned: this behaviour is intermittant. Since posting this, I actually have had no issues. But I also am not trusting the laptop to go to sleep mode anymore, and shutting down manually after use.

• phbrdphbrd Level 1

got my zenbook recently and I've seen it a couple of times, but after bios upgrade it's gone

• hjheinshjheins Level 1

Thanks a lot for your comment pnhrd,

As far as I can see, I am already on the latest version (3.01 for my model). Unfortunately, as you mention: it happens very sporadically. And I have no clue how I could reliably reproduce it. I have tested now for a couple of days with both the original hdd, and the Samsung. So far neither has triggered this issue in these last 7 days...