Did you mean: 

Keyboard Backlight on ASUS X712EA

TD47
Star II
System: Windows 10 21H1 (19043.1237)
Model: X712EA
========================
Detailed description:
I just purchased this new 17" laptop, to replace an old Toshiba one. I have to say, that having used PC's and laptops for over 30 years, this is the WORST keyboard design I have ever had the misfortune to use.
Had I known it had NO backlight on this specific model, I would never have chosen it. The keyboard design, using shiny silver keys, with a mid-grey legend, is very hard to use without the backlight, and on this design, it is ESSENTIAL. The top row with the small legends is the worst. I have decent LED ceiling lights in the study/PC den, but I still have to resort to using an extra light over the lid, pointing down to the keyboard, so that I can see the delete key properly for editing.
Perhaps ASUS and their partners/sellers can make it VERY CLEAR which models of laptop DO have a KB backlight, and which do NOT!!
Surely there is not much hardware required to have a backlight? What extra cost is there, about $10 I would guess? I hope they don't blame it on the "component shortage"! I think the keys look like the ones that the light can shine through the legend, so I am at a loss to know why this is omitted on some models, and not on others. Maybe an ASUS admin or rep will be kind enough to let us know what problem or decision led to this oversight?
2 REPLIES 2

Blake_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hello TD47,
I'm really sorry about this.
We have 2 different version of keyboard for this model, one with backlight, one without.
If you are expected to buy the one with backlight, please contact the seller to see if there is another version for your to replace it.
I have reported your opinion to related department.
Thank you.

TD47
Star II
Thanks for your input. There is another glaring omission: No num-lock light!! I have to use a tray app to check it is on (in case it gets out of sync between boots). Ridiculous!!