This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thermal throttling on Asus TUF FX504 GM, and Package Temp goes up to 99 degrees C

reetrocker
Star I
System: TUF gaming, i5 8th gen, 8GB (+8 GB) RAM, NVidia GTX 1060 6GB graphics card
Battery or AC: AC
Model: TUF 504GM
Frequency of occurrence: Every time I play game, happens every 5 secs in gam-
Reset OS: Yes
Screenshot or video:
===Attached =====================
Detailed description:
I have been using the laptop for 3 years now, and I have been facing this issue since the very beginning. Initially, I was unable to figure out why this was happening and thought I was doing something wrong. Because even in 2021, every game that launches there is no way they will not run on this laptop lower than HIGH graphics settings, but instead every time I play games I get these massive frame drops from 60 or 50 FPS all the way down to 9 or 11 FPS. Every 5 to 10 seconds in-game. I even added an 8GB RAM thinking it might be due to low RAM, but the issue was persistent. 

My laptop heats up so much and the FPS drops keep happening. Then 5 months back I found the issue to be Thermal Throttling which is causing this. I opened a case with ASUS and have an engineer visit my home and he changed the thermal paste, and everything was working nice and properly for the first time. 

Now again after 5 months, I am back to this same issue and any game you open on this laptop is absolutely unplayable because of these insane frame drops all because of the thermal throttling. 

I paid a high amount 4 months back and now again it seems I will have to pay and have another service, without a permanent fix. DO YOU WANT ME TO KEEP PAYING THESE AMOUNTS EVERY 4 months and never fix this problem? And also I cannot undervolt my laptop since ASUS has disabled it with their BIOS update. Here I am stuck with a shitty gaming laptop that cost me near 1 lac rupees where I can't even play games on.

I WANT ASUS TO FIX THIS ASAP, otherwise, I will go to the CONSUMER FORUM regarding this, and I can see many people are complaining about this but ASUS does not care and keep releasing new laptops without addressing them the issues of existing customers.
9 REPLIES 9

Blake_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hi there,
What is your BIOS and Armoury Crate version?
How often do you play games? what kind of game are you playing ?
And after you started the game how long does it take for the laptop to exceed 95 degree?
Thank you.

reetrocker
Star I
capture-jpg.jpg
This lists my BIOS version and also other details that you may require.
I do not have Armory Crate, as it did not come installed with my laptop.

As for games, I play all sorts of games like Red Dead Redemption 2, Assassins Creed Valhalla, F1 Racing, GTA 5, Cyberpunk 2077. These are a few of the many others that I play.
I play games almost every day for a few hours.
Like I said, this issue happens 5 minutes after I open games, then the laptop gets heated up, and the frame drops massively every 5 seconds,
I usally get 30FPS for Red Dead Redemption. But after every 5 seconds the FPS drops to 5 or 6 for 5 seconds they again goes back to normal 30, then again after 5 secs drops. This keeps hapenning.

Blake_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hi there,
Please kindly update BIOS to Version 313 and install Armoury Crate as well.
You are able to find the BIOS file and Armoury Crate installer from our official support website.
ASUS TUF Gaming FX504 - Support
Thank you.

reetrocker
Star I
I have updated the BIOS to 313 and also installed Armory Crate
But there is no difference
The package temp is still reaching more than 95 degrees C and I am unable to tune the Offset Voltage to undervolt the CPU
The thermal throttling is persistent