Overheating

Hi!

Sir/Madam:

Help, I have a zenphone 8 and it's overheating even when you are doing simple task like surfing the net and browsing fb. It is formatted and updated to its latest vesion 30.11.51.67. Hoping to fix this problem soon.

Thanks

Comments

• LaciLaci Level 2

Asus don't do this problem. Siriusly.

• ElmirElmir Level 1

This is not normal. I have a zenfone 8 for quite some time and after the latest updates it doesn't warm up during surfing etc. It does warm up when using camera app for a longer period or some more CPU intensive work. Could it be that one of your installed apps is doing something CPU intensive in the background?

• cytrus224cytrus224 Level 1

There for sure is some problem. Battery is 28 degrees while idle when room temperature is 22. Asus should try tuning frequency/voltage tables of the chip and check why phone is so warm even when idling&locked. I have lg v30 and its not having any problems recording 4k footage with OIS while ZF8 does(overheating)

• pipsss81pipsss81 Level 2
    edited July 2

Install app Accubattery, you can then check off and on screen power consumption with it. If phone is using less 1% of battery per hour off screen, it does not heat your phone (leave app measure consumption for at least 10h after charging). If it uses more, something is wrong and app will tell you what uses to much power. But in reality even 2% per hour shouldn't heat your phone for more than few °C.

• Aryan202Aryan202 Level 5
    edited July 3

V30 could do 4k 60 with EIS?

And the soc power difference is one another thing (5nm 888 vs 10nm 835)

For example a snapdragon 600 series soc will give you more sot, not heat much but as it's an entry level soc based on older nm the perf and features won't be anywhere near 888

• I don't know but to me it seems like there's some sort of software issue with regards to heat. In most situations I'm fine but sometimes the phone warms up while doing nothing. There needs to be some further optimization for this phone

• cytrus224cytrus224 Level 1
    edited July 3

Yes it can with modded stock firmware that unlocks some things like UHD recording at 60fps. I don't think its stable 60fps but at least its not turning into thermonuclear reactor when recording like zf8

• Today I had another warming up issue. It was idling yet very warm. Never had an overheating warning but the battery was discharging at a faster rate than normal. Please look into this ASUS

• Since yesterday i have the same problem. Simple actions and phone getting hot. Normal using, not gaming, air temperature 23 celsius, CPU temperature 41 and no sun. Really? Im little frustrated, phone is not cheap and flagship this is not normal. Of course battery is draining fast too. How many of these suprise is going to be in future? I hope no more, and I hope Asus quickly fix this. Sad truth of this phone has unfinished software.

• dradumdradum Level 1

My Zenfone 8 is overheating even when browsing the internet or updating the apps at normal room temperatures (23 - 24° C). Filming at 4k 60 fps for more than 5 or 6 minutes is out of the question as well, because the phone quickly becomes hot like an oven. It badly needs an update to fix this, because it is fixable. Otherwise, I am thinking of returning the phone.

• pipsss81pipsss81 Level 2
    edited July 4

It looks like something is wrong with your device, if that is happening on normal tasks. At 25°C i get around 30°C for long time browsing, updating apps takes maybe few minutes a day, it should not heat up much in that time. Playing light games heat up to 35°C in more than 30 min. Idk what you are browsing, some stuff can be power hungry, most are not, same goes for games. Some use 100% of CPU and GPU, most less than 25%. When phone runs on 100%, it will heat to 40°C fast due to small size and it's use 10W of power . If you plan to play Genchy impact, use ice packs :D

• Read the rest of the thread: its device is not the only one. There are also more discussions about this, and I also have this problem. This a generalized issue for this device

• me.0mby8me.0mby8 Level 1

Reading about this issue it seems like the samsung made 888 chips ( 888 chips made using the 5nm process developed by samsung and so most likely in samsung fabs ) seem to be having a lot of this overheating issue across many devices. With companies pushing patches to minimize heating I guess asus also has to do something to get the heat down.

• based on Asus only updating this phone every other month I wouldn't hold your breath.......

Haha .... Oh well at least people reporting about it might catch the eyes of the devs and they might do something about it right .. Or they might be able to use the scenarios being reported to find and solve the issue.

Faster updates might be cooler I guess at least like a sign up to the beta - Faster but might not be bug free update channel something like that.

edited July 12

With the overheating issue with the 888 processor across devices maybe something like what oneplus had done (https://gizmodo.com/oneplus-admits-it-throttles-popular-apps-on-its-flagshi-1847253576) but with option to select apps maybe or some form of optimization to improve battery life and reduce heating.

But it seems like even their camera app was one of the apps which was throttled so if I'm right op9 also record 8k @ 30fps vid and if they are managing to do it while optimizing / throttling the soc then I guess maybe zf8 can also test something out to make things more usable. I guess being able to record a video by having the x1 core of the soc cut back is better then having the camera stop recording in a few mins.

And I guess it would be a similar scenerio with other apps but having it as a option to opt in and out in a app to app manner ( ie. being able to opt out a single app if needed from the preset list or add a app to the list or some just option to make the phone more functional in a general sense) might be good.

But getting a "flagship" without the "flagship" performance I guess is not that good I guess but then if it's a bad processor as such and some brands are able to make use of it in a good way I guess asus can do something about it too without it loosing much performance.

• from my experience, the heating subsided after a couple of days of use or you'll get used to it. don't bother sending your unit to be fixed cause they will find nothing (ask me how i know). the phone will get very hot when using the camera, especially in pro mod, and in video mod at 60fps hd i got a couple of warnings after 6-10 minutes of filming. on the bright side, its good for keeping a cup of tea warm... its good if you need a hand warmer... etc etc... its a shame imho.

• Could someone from MODs acknowledge whether any fix been worked upon for the heating issue for Zenfone 8

• Alex'sAlex's Level 1

Android Auto does also heat up the phone a lot, wired and even more with wireless. Also a simple 2,4G Hotspot heats up the phone.

• LaciLaci Level 2

Great listening. There are very serious problems with Zenfone 8. When will Asus engineers solve it? 1. Severe heating even at low loads. 2. The hot process will drain and damage the battery. 3. The standby dive is unacceptably fast. When will Asus solve these ???? Slowly 1 month ago no update .... disgrace