Fingerprint reader thread [Mod adjusted thread title]

Comments

• With 0.3mm glass, it is not usable. I am very nervous. Face scanning does not work in the dark. Is this problem only for me? Asus, will you any more fixes?

• I have had no problems at all with the finger print read, it works fine ever time.

• I was looking for information on this topic on the web. you know what helps? wet my finger with hand cream ... (source: samsung helpdesk website). My skin is dry xD

• In case my skin is wet (up to one hour after just washing my hand, or just gripping a moisturous surface e.g. a cold drink in summer time), it is almost impossible (1 or max 2 attempts from 10) to unlock the phone with the fingerprint reader. Ususally I give up and use the pattern unlock, or after so many failed attempts the phone ask for the pattern anyway. So I cannot imagine how the handcream would help...

Can Asus improve on this? Thanks

• We will keep on trying to improve it but the major changes done, are done and implemented.

We cannot do much around the issue of protective glass covers (0.3mm is not "thin" enough most of the time).

Improvements have been made and it does seem to have helped a lot of users - but as always with these kind of things there will still be a subset of users who see no improvement - and maybe even regression..

No.. not specifically for this issue of wet fingers.

• rush09rush09 Level 1

Dear representatives of the ASUS support service.

Please inform the technical department that it is necessary to take into account the information set out below when working on improving the fingerprint. My experience. If the phone was unlocked the first time, then you can continue 10 or more times in a row and everything is without problems. But if it didn't work out the first time, then you can continue 3-5 times or even only a graphic key. And the chance that it will not be unlocked the first time is 50-70%. As a user, it is important for me that the algorithms of the first operation are improved. I do not know how it works, but I think it can be improved if the ones following the first unlock usually work 100%. And another important point - it is necessary to increase the number of failed attempts to 10. After all, if a stranger is nearby, then you will have to show him the key, and changing it every time is not a great pleasure. Thanks! If you write that you have accepted the information, it will be nice that it has not been lost on the forum.

• n3bn3b Level 1
    edited July 2021

Isn't this just confirmation bias?

• Works on first try: you pressed the right place, your skin isn't dry/wet, screen isn't dirty. Subsequent attempts work.
    • Doesn't work on first try: you pressed askew or away from the sensor, your skin is dry/wet/dirty, screen is dirty, etc. Subsequent attempts don't work.

Considering the sensor seems very sensitive to environmental variations (ambient light, skin moisture, etc) then it would make sense that multiple attempts in the same conditions would yield the same result.

On top of this, I'm pretty sure there is a learning behavior to some extent, wherein successful attempts will be added to the "map" to get a fuller picture of your print, but @CH_ASUS can confirm/deny that.

• rush09rush09 Level 1

N3b, apparently you didn't understand me. I have the conditions suitable for unlocking - a clean surface of the scanner, the correct location of the finger, not a dry or wet finger. (Although it works worse immediately after washing and drying your hands, this is for the information of the support service, it shouldn't be like this, but I didn't take these cases into account). The whole point is that it doesn't matter if the screen was unlocked from the second or fifth time, then if you unlock many times in a row there are no problems, the conditions are the same as at the beginning, and unlocking is without problems. Do you understand the essence? The problem is in the primary unblocking, it is necessary to improve the algorithms here. Well, as a temporary measure, increase the reading errors up to 10 times, as I mentioned above. Your comment does not bring any benefit.

• rush09rush09 Level 1

More precisely, I will formulate: even if the unlock was completed only on the fifth attempt,then all the others if you unlock in a row without problem

• n3bn3b Level 1

I'd give up the attitude if I had a problem that needed solving. Doesn't bring any benefit 😘

• rush09rush09 Level 1

I didn't want to offend you, but if you carefully read my first post, you wouldn't have written such advice

• Hi, I have just installed a hydrofoil protector. Deleted all fingerprints to record again, but it was almost impossible. It took me 5 min to register 2 fingers but barely recognised. Always complains for dirty sensor.

If anyone found a good protector, please post it. Thank you.

• You guys buy a high-end premium phone with top gorilla glass and put $3 plastic glass on it... In 2021... Just don't.

• Fingerprint sensor is terrible for me with no screen protector. Actually it was better before the last update that was supposed to improve it. Before the update, I would say, succes rate was about 50-60%, now it is 20-30%. I tried rescanning fingers and all that stuff, does not help a bit.

• my glass worth ~$13 - price is a determinant? Because the finger reader still doesn't work...

• Have you tried not applying any additional glass on it? Should work just fine.

• And it works, but so what? I prefer screen security than fingerprint reader. If it works in a similar way on every phone, I already know it's not for me. It's best to have a sensor on the back of the phone. The sensor under the screen is the most overrated shit.

• In terms of accuracy, speed, detection - capacitive sensors have the best track record. This is not unique to ASUS.

Optical under display fingerprint readers (basically a camera that takes photos through the display) are popular ofc due to their "hidden" nature - but there are also drawbacks.

Ultrasonic fingerprint readers work similary also with their drawbacks.

Especially so when using screen protectors.

A quick google on screen protector issues with fingerprint scanners under display reveals tons of issues with other brands also.

We've issued several updates with regards to the FP scanner's robustness and detection rate - most cases (without screen protectors) have improved considerably - but it does not mean 0% of users will have issues.. it never is like this.

With screen protectors,

the issue can for sure still be present. And it will vary a lot depending on th type, thickness, application (dust, gaps, dirt, whatever under) and also fingerprint itself.

In some cases it will work fine. It others unlock will be slower but still work. In some it will be slower and work, but fail more often and yet in some, it works very poorly overall instead.

We are still at work looking to improve and optimize the FP reader but above mentioned side effects, esp. with protectors, will always be present - we cannot work around them to 100%.

• I'm going crazy from slow finger print sensor, it takes up to 3 seconds to unlock my phone. I bought the phone last week and I have all recent updates. Some way how to make it faster? My Zenfone 6 was super fast compared to this expensive Zenfone 8 flip. #DISAPPOINTED

• For what it's worth, I managed to hugely boost a fingerprint reader success rate with protective hybrid glass (0.16mm) by adjusting my habits.

I used to rather loosely place an upper part of my thumb on the screen over the reader. I would say the success rate was 0.5 at it's best.

I noticed however, that by moving my finger a little bit up, so the part of thumb closer to the middle is being read, and by applying some force i get consistent unlocks. With very sporadic fails.

This discussion has been closed.