estanoe8
Star II
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: ZS630KL
Firmware Version: WW_18.0610.2103.137
Rooted or not: Not Rooted
Frequency of Occurrence: N/A
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): N/A
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
Hello all,

Just wondering if there is any update on the negotiations to bring VoLTE support for AT&T to the ZenFone 6? T-Mobile has lousy coverage where I am, so I am now about 9 months away from my Edition 30 becoming an expensive 5000 MaH paperweight.
4 REPLIES 4

skylerwolfe
Zen Master I
I wish you luck, but my suspicion is that they made the change for T-mobile because the reported date of change was within the 2 year window of support for updates. If I had to guess, the answer will ultimately be that there will be no help for this as the ATT change is happening after the phone is done receiving OS updates. There is always the hope that the change with ATT won't occur when they say. My stepfather has an old flip phone that is 3G on T-mobile and it still apparently works even after the supposed change with T-mobile.

newnews
Rising Star II
skylerwolfe

I wish you luck, but my suspicion is that they made the change for T-mobile because the reported date of change was within the 2 year window of support for updates. If I had to guess, the answer will ultimately be that there will be no help for this as the ATT change is happening after the phone is done receiving OS updates. There is always the hope that the change with ATT won't occur when they say. My stepfather has an old flip phone that is 3G on T-mobile and it still apparently works even after the supposed change with T-mobile.

View post
I think 3G phasing out is gradually carrying out, not one time thing, so I guess 3g will disappear in couple of months

Tony_Hays
Star I
In my town, AT&T is adding some 4G small cells (attached to streets lights) and appears to be removing some 3G towers (or at least I can no longer make voice calls using a Zenfone 6 in some areas where I used to be able to). More importantly, I may, or may not, be able to receive calls, which makes the phone just about useless. I have to rely on a Cisco MicroCell (provided many years ago by AT&T) for calls at home. It would be helpful if ASUS could give us a statement as to whether they are, or are not, going to provide VoLTE in the near future. If they are not, I'll start looking for another phone, and it won't be a Zenfone, as much as I like the Zenfone 6. I also have a Zenfone 2 and Zenfone 3 which have served me well. ASUS is failing miserably on support. If they can provide AT&T VoLTE on their ROG 3 and ROG 5, why can't they provide it for the Zenfone 6?

Tony_Hays
Star I
My workaround to this problem (and others have probably done this already) is to install Google Voice (GV) and then set up call forwarding to send my AT&T calls to the GV number. Thus all incoming calls are received via GV. For outgoing calls, I first try to make a call using AT&T, and if that doesn't work, I use GV. The only downside to making calls using GV is that the recipient's phone shows a Caller ID with a city displayed which is not the one I live in (although it's close) and a number that is not familiar to the recipient. I can't change the Caller ID, so I've had to message my friends with a heads-up, so that they can put my GV number in their phone directory. AT&T charges $7.50 to set up call forwarding, and then charges $4.00 a month to maintain it. I can stop or start call forwarding at any time by inputting a set of codes, although offhand I can't think of a situation where I might need to turn it off. I expect to have to do this until either ASUS implements AT&T VoLTE as they implied they would do in a forum message on 2020-12-10, or I can afford a new phone.  
Does anyone have a better idea than this? If so, I would be interested to know what it is.