Dash F15 not working with HP Reverb G2 (vertical bars)

trdufftrduff Level 1
  1. System: Windows 10
  2. Battery or AC: AC
  3. Model: Dash F15
  4. Frequency of occurrence: everytime
  5. Reset OS:
  6. Screenshot or video:

========================

Detailed description:

Used a thunderbolt to displayport in the Dash F15 thunderbolt port to connect to the Reverb G2. Windows mixed reality app finds the Reverb G2, the displays turn on but are showing vertical bars. Items in screen are tracking, but no color, mostly vertical bars. sometimes the right screen does work.

I'm only testing through the Windows mixed reality portal.

It almost seems like it isn't using/activating the Nvidia 3070 card, since the graphics usage stays low and the dash doesn't get warm and the fans stay off.

The Reverb G2 works in my desktop computer with an ASUS 3080 TUF installed.

Comments

• Hi there,

May I have specific model name? FX516PR? FX516PM?

And please share a video or some picture of the issue.

Thank you so much.

• trdufftrduff Level 1

FX516PR-211.TM15

• trdufftrduff Level 1

Here is a movie file showing the tracking is working

• trdufftrduff Level 1
    edited March 17

Another thing, the Dash F15 works fine with the Oculus Quest 2, using either the thunderbolt or USB ports. Although it drains the battery very quickly in like 30 minutes.

• Hi trduff,

Is there any error code on the screen?

And after to plug in the headset display cable, does the display control center detect the device?

Thank you.

• trdufftrduff Level 1
    edited March 18

No errors, the computer thinks it is working correctly.

I can unplug the display port and it will show a 1-4 error. When I reconnect the cable it will automatically recognize and start working with the vertical bars.

I have tried setting all the headset options to lowest settings, since it wasn't working on the defaults, sometimes now the right screen will work.

I have also set the laptop monitor to 60hz, from the 240hz default setting to no avail.

• trdufftrduff Level 1
    edited March 18

I have these settings configured:

Windows setting/Headset display:

Change app window resolution: 720 the default is 1080

Experience options/change: Optimize for performance the default is let windows decide.

Adjust frame rate: 60 hz the default is 90 hz

All others are at default.

Windows display setting:

Advanced display settings/refresh rate 60 hz default is 240 hz.

Currently the right screen works while the left screen is showing the vertical bars.

When I say the right screen works, I can actually see the controllers and it tracks with colors and no vertical bars, but the screen seems to be only about half the size it should be. I'm only at the first screen within the Microsoft VR portal, I haven't tried playing any games.

Nvidia drivers version 27.21.14.6172 are installed.

Windows version 20H2 OS build 19042.868

• trdufftrduff Level 1

By closing my left eye, I'm able to play a little, still very little GPU usage, while playing asteroids VR game.

• trdufftrduff Level 1

I installed the Asus GPU application, it does show the 3070 is being used a little while in VR.

• Hi trduff,

The converter you use for the Displayport to Thunderbolt, is simply port converter, right? or it is signal converter as well?

Thank you.

• trdufftrduff Level 1

Cable Matters USB C to DisplayPort Adapter (USB-C to DisplayPort Adapter, USB C to DP Adapter) Supporting 8K 60Hz Black - Thunderbolt 3 Port Compatible with MacBook Pro, Dell XPS 13, 15 and More    

Model 201016-BLK-N 

and

Cable Matters USB C to DisplayPort Adapter with 8K HDR DisplayPort 1.4 - USB Type C and Thunderbolt 3 Port Compatible with Oculus Rift S, MacBook Pro, Dell XPS, Surface Pro and More 

Model 201086 

I can't post actual links, just realized they are both the same brand.

If I should use something different, please get me a link.

• trdufftrduff Level 1

So they are active and signal converting.

• trdufftrduff Level 1

I've discovered that if I disable the integrated GPU through the device manager I then get a 1-4 error when I try to start the Windows mixed reality portal.

So it looks like it is trying to use the integrated graphics instead of the nvidia graphics.

Any idea what to look at now?

• Hi trduff,

We are suspecting it's a compatibility issue, but not sure it's because of converter or the VR device.

I will consult more to dig in.

The port on FX516PR is TB4, supporting DP1.4, while Reverb G2 is using DP1.3.

Do you have some simple adapter, just simply converting the DP port to Type C?

Maybe like this?

Thank you.

• trdufftrduff Level 1
    edited March 22

I do have that one, it doesn't work at all, so I didn't mention it.

It only has the 1-4 error.

I also have an OKX model U001 Docking station that doesn't work with error code 14-2.

Another item, my ASUS 3080 TUF video card has DP1.4a and works with the Reverb G2.

• Hi trduff,

For the 1-4 error code, may you tried to update USB port driver ?

Thank you.

• trdufftrduff Level 1
    edited March 23

It says I have the best drivers already installed when Microsoft scans for updates.

Driver version details: 10.0.19041.662 date 11/16/2020

Intel(R) USB 3.10 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.20 (Microsoft)

• Hi trduff,

Thank you for the information.

Let me consult more about it.

• I have exactly the same issue. Same laptop, same headset, all drivers and windows up to date.

Sometimes the right eye is ok, left eye has vertical bars always.

I've tried a powered thunderbolt hub and the same cable matters cable. Even prioritised the 3070 GPU for the applications I want to use in VR but nothing works.

Sounds like a hardware compatibility issue that needs patching.

• Photos. Top is left eye