USB-C -> Jack dongle issues and my other thoughts after six months of using this great phone
After using the phone for about six months, I've recently felt the need to use my wired earphones while running. Unfortunately, it's not possible with the provided dongle because of its poor quality. After connecting it just wiggles inside the port and disconnects randomly. Sometimes once every few seconds, and sometimes it works for about 20 minutes without disconnecting. Most of the time I can just press the button near the earphone (I'm mainly using ZenEar Pro from Zenfone 6) and music resumes playing because the cable falls into its place on its own again, but once in a while it just refuses to work and I have to carefully recconect the cable (of course it disconnects 50 % of the time when I put it back in my pocket).
Having said that, here are my two questions:
- Are all ROG Phone 3 dongles designed to have such big amount of room inside the port?
- Will a ~20 $ replacement from another company work, or is the audio solution proprietary?
Otherwise I'm still very satisfied with every other aspect the phone and I have to praise Asus devs, who've fixed the infamous black crush (at least for my taste). There is one small UI detail which still bugs me - lack of an option to hide the navigation bar, like in Zenfone 6. I've requested it in August and @Gustav_ASUS kindly offered to bring it as a suggestion for the future back then, but it sadly hasn't found its way into any of the updates. That's why I'm asking: Is there any chance that this feature gets added in any of the following updates, or is this stage of software development over?
I thank you in advance for any of your help and wish you a good day!
Further information regarding my first issue and the phone itself:
- it's not the headphones fault, I've tested three different ones and they all connect perfectly to the female side of the dongle
- other usb-c cables don't wiggle inside the port (e.g. the charger cable, or my other usb-a -> usb-c cable)
- the issue occurs in multiple apps (Spotify, Google Play Music, Tidal, Youtube)
- wiggling happens inside both ports, and I can't put the phone in my pocket with anything connected to the side port for obvious reasons, this unfortunately also rules out the jack port inside the cooler which works perfectly
- Model Name: ROG Phone 3 (12/512 GB version)
- Firmware Version: 17.0823.2012.131
- Rooted or not: not rooted
- Frequency of Occurrence: it varies (see above)
- APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): any app which is designed to play audio