This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ZenPad 10 3S microphone not working.

nobleprodigy1
Star I
The built-in microphone is not working properly. When using the device default app Sound Recorder, it appears to record voice audio but at a very very very low volume. I can barely hear the audio even when the volume is a maximum. However, it works properly when using a plug-in headphone set.
I'm unable to find a way to boost the microphone signal gain in any of the settings. The device is not damaged, rarely used and i don't recall dropping it ito have damaged the speaker.
I don't have other apps installed that could possibly interfere with the operation of microphone.
Please assist.
2 REPLIES 2

Christine_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hi nobleprodigy1
Thank you for your asking. The audio issue can be divided by two segments -- hardware issue and software issue. Kindly try some software stay-at-home troubleshooting tips below:
1. Please try Settings>Apps & notifications>See all apps>tap the 3 dots at the top>Reset app preference
2. Please try to enter "Safe Mode". If the function works well in Safe Mode yet the issue remains out of Safe Mode, please check on any disturbance from the installed 3rd party apps.
# How to enter and exit "Safe Mode"
[Phone] How to Enter and Exit Safe Mode? | Official Support | ASUS Global
3. Also, please try "the Factory Reset" 
Settings>System>Reset options>Erase all data(factory reset)
Please note that once the Factory Reset is completed, all data, apps, settings and personal information will be deleted.

If the situation remains the same after performing the Factory Reset, it indicates high possibility of faulty hardware. Please contact ASUS repair center in the country of your residence for further device checking: https://www.asus.com/support/Service-Center-All-Countries/
If it is impossible to access the service center during Covid-19 period, please try Call us: https://www.asus.com/support/CallUs

nobleprodigy1
Star I
Thanks for your assistance. None of the solutions you proposed worked. I am convinced it is a speaker hardware issue. After recording I am able to turn the volume at maximum and can hear the recording but at very very very low distinct sound.
Versus sending the unit into a service center, I'll just purchase an expensive tablet for the purposes of using Skype or FB messenger voice/video calling and for my keyboard learning apps that require a microphone for instructions.