Battery or AC: Both
Model: UX581GV.308
Frequency of occurrence: Always
Reset OS: Yes
Screenshot or video:
System: Windows 10 Pro 10.0.19042S
========================
Detailed description:
I have turned Nvidia RTX 2060 on from the Nvidia control center, therefore both 3D and physx are set on RTX. When playing a video on YouTube, both graphic cards are processing the video at the same time, so basically the Intel UHD 630 stays at 60-70% and the RTX stays at 40-50%, in parallel.
If I disable the RTX and set everything to default which uses the Intel UHD 630 integrated graphic card, playing the exact same video, it eats around 50-60% of the Intel GPU, without seeing any difference in quality. The only difference is that with Intel UHD the laptop stays cold, whereas with the RTX, the laptop stays super hot.
So my question is what is happening here? We pay a lot of money for a dedicated graphic card that do not bring anything on the table, but on contrary, it seems worse that the integrated one.
I've uploaded some small video so you can see that both GPUs run in parallel even thought I set the laptop to use the RTX.

2 REPLIES 2

Liviu
Rising Star II
In the first video, both GPUs stays above 60-70%.
In the last video, if I disable RTX, the Intel UHD stays at almost the same level, even a little lower and performance is identical to when RTX is enable and both GPU being at 70-80%
In the second video, you can see that the Rtx graphic card goes to 20% just by moving the mouse over the browser, which is insane.

Liviu
Rising Star II
The only advantage here is that you can use the RTX for some deep learning algorithms, but on video encoding/decoding it is execrable compared to the desktop counterpart.