This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to update the firmware of ROG Phone? Which firmware version should I choose?

dcdobson2
Star I
Hi.. I've recently bought this device and it's still on the original years old firmware.
I'd like to know what steps specifically I need to do in order to get it on latest stable /good battery version please.
I know I can't just upgrade to latest firmware, I have to do it in stages yes, 1 update after another?
What firmware?
Where from?
How?
What software on Pc do I use?

I have :
2018 model
Android 8.1.0
Baseband
M3 15 35 15 1-jedi_000621
Kernel
Build number
Opm1. 171019. 026. ww_phone. 15 1616. 1808.23-0
Rom extension 1.1.12
European model.. 👍

Not rooted
Thanks in advance.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CyberPunk2302
Rising Star II
Christine_ASUS

Hi dcdobson2

Thank you for your asking. Kindly try some stay-at-home troubleshooting tips below:

1. To check the compatibility between the firmware and the app version, please update your app to the latest version.

2. Also, please try "the Factory Reset" 

Settings>System>Reset options>Erase all data(factory reset)

Please note that once the Factory Reset is completed, all data, apps, settings and personal information will be deleted.

If you still prefer the system design of your previous Android version, you may downgrade the system by visiting our official website.

https://rog.asus.com/phones/rog-phone-model/helpdesk_bios/

View post
@Christine_ASUS I hope you understand factory reset is not as easy as you suggest for every issue.
Even with the disclaimer, that's the last thing you should suggest anyone with an issue.
Instead you could just ask the user a simple question if they still see the issue after a reboot and updating all applications from the play Store. That's like the first step and not a factory reset.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Christine_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hi dcdobson2
Thank you for your asking. To update the system, you may try Auto Update or Manual Update.
1. Auto Update (Easier Way)
Settings>System>System update
*Tap the 3 dots on the top row of "System update">Auto-update settings, for related settings
2. Manual Update (Normally use in cross-Android firmware update or rooted/unlocked device)
Download the firmware file into the root directory, aka the outermost place, of the internal storage>Reboot>Tap the "system update" notification
*To perform cross-Android firmware update, please backup the device data first.
#[Zenfone] How to update firmware on my phone?
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1009748/
#ROG Phone Firmware Spot
https://rog.asus.com/phones/rog-phone-model/helpdesk_bios/ 

However, which firmware version should I choose?
Each firmware version will optimize the system stability from the previous firmware version. Since right now you are in Android 8 (Oreo), you can try to upgrade to the latest Android 8 firmware version WW-15.1630.1907.98 (2019/09/03). You can also try to upgrade to Android 9 by manual update, if you still prefer Android 8 interface/system design, you can downgrade from Android 9 to Android 8 by Version Android P to O (WW SKU) (2019/12/04) file on Firmware Spot.

Marco
Star III
DON'T UPDATE! I updated to Android 9 and ASUS's Android 9 is full of bugs, a massive memory leak and poor memory management!

hermantan89
Rising Star I
What I regret the most is the weather animation on the lock screen is gone.

dcdobson2
Star I
Well I've updated and now the phone is really slow at opening apps and navigating the ui.

It literally takes about 3/4 seconds to open an app.. That's unacceptable.