Why does the screen become black during incoming and outgoing call?
If you experience the following scenarios while on a call:
- Recipient can't end the call due to a black screen.
- Screen doesn't light up when dial pad is needed for use.
- Screen is unresponsive and doesn't wake up even after pressing the power button.
- Check if your phone has a screen protector. A dark screen protector without a hole on its proximity sensor area may be causing the problem. You can either remove the screen protector or replace it with one that has a proximity sensor hole.
We recommend using genuine screen protectors from ASUS. The position of the proximity sensor may vary per model.
Please refer to the red mark below for its location on the ZE550ML/ ZE551ML/ ZE550KL/ ZE551KL/ZD551KL:
For ZE500KG/ ZE500KL:
- Clean the proximity sensor area using a soft cloth to remove any residual oil. Use finger to immediately wipe it clean when you experience a black screen while on a call.
- Go to Settings > About > System update then tap Check update to see if it’s the latest version, update your system if there’s a new version coming.
- Update ASUS Calling screen and Contacts from Google Play to the latest versions.
- Another option is to untick the Turn on proximity sensor box from Phone > Dial pad menu (middle left) > Settings > Call screen settings. Doing this lights up the screen instead when there’s an incoming call.
If these tips don’t help, or the touch function sometimes doesn’t work for answering incoming calls, please contact our service center for further support.