Optus / Telstra carriers Australia VoLTE support

Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:

1. Model Name:Rog3
  2. Firmware Version:.98
  3. Rooted or not:not
  4. Frequency of Occurrence:
  5. APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):

In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.

========================================

Hi @Gustav_ASUS I noticed in that fota update .98 you added support for VoLTE for an Indian carrier, what’s the reason you can’t do this for the Australian ones ?

cheers

Adam

Comments

• @BlackAs

Long story short, VoLTE has to be negotiated and approved for each carrier and model. In some cases, this can be a time-consuming process and will differ between countries and carriers. It's also a question of market size, which is why you will see some budget brands with VoLTE support. (Since they sell a bunch of cheap phones.)

• @Gustav_ASUS thanks for taking the time to reply. I would be lying to say I’m not disappointed, I guess what I really want to know and the rest of the Australian customers is are they even going to attempt to get the phone approved for VoLTE or not? I understand that the unit sales here are not of the volume of say India or the US, however when market size is brought up how is it ever going to increase here, when it doesn’t have what is now and has been for a couple of years a basic feature of flagship phones or phones in general released by the other manufactures that sell phones in Australia.

Any way I won’t post again about this topic and thanks again for the responses.

cheers

Adam

• @BlackAs No worries, I completely understand if you feel frustrated. I'll check internally, but there's only so much I can do from here.

• Thanks @Gustav_ASUS I appreciate your efforts and do understand your the middle man here, it’s most definitely not a personal attack but I guess if it’s not talked about then nothing will ever happen. I’m also communicating with the carrier directly to see what can be done to assist the process of making this happen for us in Australia.

cheers

Adam

• nuccionuccio Level 2

I'll add my voice for wanting VoLTE in Australia as well. Voice quality without it is pretty bad and it would be good if Asus could do something about it.

• Hi @Gustav_ASUS i just finished talking with Optus technical support and they said any device in Australia can use VoLTE it’s fully enabled on all the OPTUS sims and the network. I explained how you just did a FOTA update for an Indian carrier to enable the handset for VoLTE and they suggested I ask you to do the same for OPTUS.

cheers

Adam

• PavPav Level 1

Same with Telstra, All they need is to put the settings in the rom and it will work.

A few years back they used to have to approve each model to use the network or they would block it but that hasn't been around for over a year now.

• Yeah I don’t get it would be like releasing a v twin motor bike in Australia but only enabling 1 cylinder and have it compete against regular twins 😞

• nuccionuccio Level 2

Really should not be any reason then for Asus not to activate VoLTE for our phones in Australia.

• Asus just too lazy to implement VOLTE here in Australia. They simply don't care..

• I’m hoping that’s not the case and @Gustav_ASUS has put the gloves on and is knocking some heads in marketing and development for us 😄😄😄😄😂

• Doubt it. The fact is, the ROG 3, like the ROG 2, there simply isn't enough handsets sold here to justify adding support. Speaking to a friend of mine in JB Hifi, they've sold around 35 handsets Aus wide to date... so. umm. yeah......

• Hopefully VoLTE can still be added. I doubt adding VoLTE has anything to do with sales of the phone, it's literally a few settings added to qualcomm modem and ROM. It's probably more a case of something not thought about. Do the JB Version come with WW Rom or a local variant? If JB is selling phones without VoLTE (especially to the market that is likely to buy a ROG) they would see 99% returned I imagine.

• xihexihe Level 2

VoLTE is a simple root away if you really want to enable it. You just have to find your carrier settings and modify the EFS partition.

• PavPav Level 1

The problem with that is the average user won't want to do it for the risk of losing warranty or messing up their phone.

They'd and even most of us here would rather keep our phones stock and not have to change it every time there's an update.

• Yeah I just want the little toggle button that say VoLTE in a FOTA update, I’m not jacking my phone don’t know enough about it to do that I’m an average user 😆

• Both JB and Harvey Norman are selling them I got mine from Harvey Norman. I absolutely love this phone for what I use it for just want to still be able to game while I’m talking to the wife on the phone and I can’t do that cause it takes it out of 4G every time I’m on a call 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️😫😞

• That's a bit unfair, don't you think?

@realistix "It's literally a few settings added to qualcomm modem and ROM" is simplifying it, since it makes no mention of testing, QA and everything else that goes into the process.

As I've said before, I understand your frustration and I'm following up internally to see if anything can be done. (Though I hope you understand that I can't make any promises.)