cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black Crush explained ( Rog3 / OP 8 )

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
youtube.com/watch?v=8EoRnfA1cK0
Here is an explanation as to why black crush is happening and how Asus can fix it. It also explains how this is NOT a hardware defect even with an example.
I hope this will clearify a great deal and that you guys need to stop spreading weird nonsense like its caused by high refreshrate screens, hardware defect or that asus cheaped out on displays. Just chill a little bit and let asus fix it, and Asus you need to stop the hotfixes, it's seriously doing more damage than good.
Hope to see much less black crush topics as it's really getting old by now.
82 REPLIES 82

Gustav_ASUS
Community Legend III
@nightmaster552
Thanks for taking the time to make your video. You bring up some good points at the end about our current method of communicating progress on known issues. We're always looking to improve and user feedback is always welcomed, so thanks for that. 👍

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
Gustav_ASUS

@nightmaster552

Thanks for taking the time to make your video. You bring up some good points at the end about our current method of communicating progress on known issues. We're always looking to improve and user feedback is always welcomed, so thanks for that. 👍

View post
Well as a software developer I am able to see the situation from both sides. Issues like these especially on new technology can be a very finicky to work with and confusion about a subject will more than likely cause some misunderstanding and frustration.
I do therefore also understand that you simply cannot display to much information on issues as a lot of times causes can not be pinpointed 100% and by being to transparent will make more misunderstandings and cause very unrealistic expectations on future fixes, that being said there has to be at the very least some transparency on what you are working, as otherwise the community will think nothing is being done and keep spamming forums and causing unnessecary commotion.
The only reason I made the video (unlike issues on my previous razer phone) was simply because I do have faith in you guys caring enough to fix issues when presented in a productive way. The fact that the video already reached a mod without going viral is a testament for you actually giving a damn. So I have high hopes, to soon being able to recommend the phone to everyone and enjoying a superior and properly calibrated AMOLED screen.
Keep up the good work, I do have a pretty good idea on how much you guys have to deal with due to tons of people overreacting.

hank_email_is
Rising Star II
I thought all our screen is calibrated out of factory with delta less than colors, so shouldn't we won't have this issue? Unless it wasn't calibrated at each brightness.
But then this would mean after each update I won't have accurate color for my screen because the update is a general calibration but not just for my screen?

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
hank_email_is

I thought all our screen is calibrated out of factory with delta less than colors, so shouldn't we won't have this issue? Unless it wasn't calibrated at each brightness.

But then this would mean after each update I won't have accurate color for my screen because the update is a general calibration but not just for my screen?

View post
It is NOT calibrated at each brightness level, because stock Android has no such feature. It has to be made by Asus themselves. LCD screens only need 1 calibration while OLEDs are more difficult. As explained on my video, Asus would have to implement color profiles on each individual brightness level and let every user calibrate themselves. Obviously Asus would add a "global" profile for all brightness levels but it wouldnt be 100% accurate as every single screen is slightly different even when having the same modelnumber and asking Asus to hand calibrate every single screen is absolutely not realistic without imensively upping the price.
As for update, I'm not sure what you're saying, if they implement the feature in Splendid it shouldnt be affected by future updates in the slightest. Also the color accuracy on 99.999% of smartphones are completely off and oversaturated, if you attempt to calibrate an OLED screen to be accurate without doing it on all brightness levels you get black crush as a result. This is why OP8 pro and Rog3 suffer from black crush, because these screens are calibrated to show accurate colors but because of color shifting due to brightness or lack thereof it causes issues.
This is something completely new, no smartphone has so far pulled of a color accurate OLED screen thus far to my knowledge, if you know an OLED screen that has pulled this off, I'd love to be proven otherwise. Asus could be the first to do so.