Bad display

GameOjasGameOjas Level 2
edited October 2020 in ROG Phone 3

First time buying a Asus phone with brand name ROG which screams power and quality. True to gamers

Had no high expectations from this device but I took it guaranteed that we will have a good display not amazing but usable. Even phone which cost 10k has better display. To top off all this with no proper response from the brand. It is unacceptable service.

If Asus Don't want to do something about this. Then we should. We should let other people know that they should save their money and buy something else.

Everyone who is facing black crush issue should post #rogphone3baddisplay on twitter.

Comments

• 10k phone has a screen which works properly. Where you can watch, play content with decent color reproduction.

Where screen looks like a screen not blunder at low or high brightness

Has a screen which doesn't look like playing Minecraft while watching a video

Screen that doesn't have ghost touch issue.

Screen that has good multi touch support

I would like to know... How many popular games support 144hz refresh rate? I am all in for high refresh rate but you have to get the basics right first of all.. make screen a screen not red Sun at low brightness and grey moon with high brightness

The very main purpose of screen is to display colors so pictures and content looks as close to real or how it should have intended to be seem.

If you cannot get this right then everything else becomes a gimmick.

• MVMV Level 1

Hmm, does that classify for a shitty display? No wonder you are happy with touch response and 144hz that 90% apps does not support. Good for you.

• I'd say all 2020 OLED panel has issues (high hz panels)

I was just seeing a guy rant about his display on OnePlus 8 pro telegram group yesterday lol

It's the same there as it's here

There people are quoting that Asus is trying to atleast calibrate but op did nothing 🙅

The grass always looks greener on the other side 😂

Btw 8pro doesn't have 90hz refresh rate mode (it's just 60 and 120) they're crying for a 90hz mode too now 😝

• Unless there's technology improvement high hz panels are going to have issues

Why do you think apple won't use high hz panels on iphones,they know the technology isn't error proof yet

Samsung panels/samsung made panels have issues too

Black crush,tint, display color uniformity,artifacts,black bar around punch hole in some phones, display retention, burn in are some of the OLED issue sright now

• I don't know how time I have debunked this fake news. That OnePlus did nothing.

I will do it again. Asus should stop making fake news and work on solution.

If you google " ROG phone 3 black crush". this is the result we get.

Now if the issue is resolved...

Maybe it's just my phone has a faulty display. And you have no issue at all.

• If the technology isn't there for high refresh rate why did Asus take our money and why we have to pay 50k to beta test there product for them.

We must be living in upside-down world now.

I think most AMOLED screens used in phones are made by Samsung... And making AMOLED screens is same as making cookies in a way...

Sometimes some are overcook and other come out perfectly in a same tray... That's why most companies who buy screens test them before they put them in a final product.

All companies get issues with their products and it is normal. We understand it. But the lack of official statement and no sight for any kind of solution is a problem here.

We need a solution.

• Yes whenever a OEM releases a fota with "black crush" or "tint" fix it's published by all major tech outlets

And how many times are you going to post that digit source lol (first of all digit is crap) and that's just one of the responses of OnePlus PR guy if you contact Asus support directly they'll say the same thing replace or refund but on ground reality is different

I have seen 8pro's irl so I can say how much crappy the display is

According to amazon policy if you request for a display replacement a technician will visit and check the display in most cases he will issue an replacement or in some cases not deem it as an display issue and "normal" if then again the 2nd replacement has issues then you can go for refund

It's the same for Asus and Flipkart but I'd say that amazon process is a bit faster

And don't post that article without context multiple times as I know 2-3 guys who replaced that 8/pro and saw the whole process of replacement/refund

• A mods answer is official statement and mods said they're working on it,if a tech site publishes that statement is that official for you smh?

Mods have said it multiple times that they're working on it and in latest update it can be seen (black crush at low brightness is better than before)

And 50k or 100k no phones are without issues,and in this case all high hz phones suffer from it

I've personally seen OnePlus 8/pro,Nubia red magic 3,op 7pro,7t,realme X2 pro and other 90/120hz phones which have black crush and tint

• SunainaSunaina Level 1
    edited September 2020

If a OEM issues a fota with "black crush" and "tint" fix it gets published by all major tech outlets

And first of all digit as a source is crap

They publish stuff/replies from OnePlus PR/support guys,that way if you contact Asus directly they'll say the same thing that is either replace or refund and these sites just publish it as "official"

I will tell you how the process happens as I personally know a few guys with OnePlus 8/pro who replaced their units

If you request an replacement amazon sends a technician to check the display if he authorises the process then you'll get an replacement or if he doesn't and say it's "normal" then idk but if you face the issue with the second replacement too then you're liable for refund

The process is same with Asus and Flipkart but I'll agree that the Amazon process is a bit faster and in general amazon is better

So please don't post that outdated may month article and in general digit isn't reliable with such info

I have confirmed with many OnePlus buyers about the same on telegram and reddit btw

• And about the technology not ready part ,It's just about who will release the fastest high hz display now between OEMs

And people actually buy because of this marketing so if it works why not do that lol

Many people don't even care about black crush like some can't notice it and some don't care as it doesn't interfere with their normal usage (many of such people aren't here on zentalk)

90hz is the safest bet with least black crush and tint as of now beyond that needs good calibration which is rare with OEMs

• GameOjasGameOjas Level 2
    edited September 2020

My cousin and one of my friend also bought this phone right when it went on sale in india. And they both got there phones replace by OnePlus in July.

• SunainaSunaina Level 1
    edited September 2020

Yes so? You can replace rog too only in some isolated cases replacement application gets rejected

Many here on this forum too has replaced units

And that's a OnePlus support guy he doesn't have the exact information, a moderators word is way more legible as he has direct connection to developers and the company so his words will have more value than a support representative like the ones on my asus,social media etc

• Yes so? You can replace rog too only in some isolated cases replacement application gets rejected

Many here on this forum too has replaced units

And that's a OnePlus support guy he doesn't have the exact information, a moderators word is way more legible as he has direct connection to developers and the company so his words will have more value than a support representative like the ones on my asus,social media etc

• MVMV Level 1

Next time order something specially half cooked meal from swiggy or Zomato and don't think about returning it, because you already know what's in it. And you trust in chefs doing their fine culinary work and thats how it supposed to be.

Your logic and explanation is the same. ILLOGICAL. Why don't mods post a detailed article instead if thats a serious issue, its clearly not for them. Just 1 liners we are working, 2 technical jargons isn't gonna help it.

• There's an 7 day replacement policy on Flipkart but I think you're way past that now

Maybe tell them you some issue and need a replacement see what they say

• What detailed explanation do you want 🤔

An apology? No OEM would do that tbh

They would prefer saying we are working on it then we messed up with the calibration and the fact that it's pretty widespread with high refresh rate OLEDs is another reason to not say anything

Atleast they're working to recalibrate the display that's all I need to hear and as of the current firmware it's manageable for most of us

Future refinements are welcome tho 🤞

*It's my personal preference

• MVMV Level 1

Did I write "apology"? You are too good in making words but you can keep it to yourself in this case. Clearly you don't know how much image processing goes into making a display to make it look like it is. Can you share some of your knowledge on how black crush occurs and why is it visible only in low brightness and dark areas and not pitch black. Why a tint is required to compensate that? Are these not things you wish to know or you know more than enough already and fine with "working on it statement".

I know a shitty display/digitizer can only be caliberated not rectified of issues with just software. So 1 thing for sure black crush will stay whatever updates comes.

• And about this it's just a race of having higher refresh rates right now

OEMs need high hz to market their display faster and smoothest in the world and I'll say to you that many buy because of this

And only a handful of people are here reporting issues with display on zentalk many don't care lol (they either can't spot it or don't care as it doesn't interfere with their usecase)

So yeah depends on the buyer

90hz is the safest bet with least tint and black crush right now beyond that needs good calibration which is rare with OEMs

This discussion has been closed.