Feedback on the black crush after .70 update and some other small bugs I found
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
- Model Name:
- Firmware Version: .70
- Rooted or not: No
- Frequency of Occurrence:
- APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
When I bought the Rog phone 3, my unit had severe black crush issues, which meant watching anything under 50% brightness was out of the question. I can safely say that the .70 update was a massive improvement, since now I can watch most content at 30% brightness without issue, which is my normal use case anyway.
However, it's still not perfect, and I thought I'd provide feedback on the update, and how to improve it further, along with telling you a few small bugs I encounter pretty frequently.
1. The black crush tends to be at it's worst when I'm watching content with a colder tint/filter to it, for example, shows like the man in the high castle, which has a blue-ish tone to its scenes, seems to aggravate the issue to the point where watching it under 75% brightness is almost impossible. However, when I watched interstellar, it was almost unnoticeable until I went beneath 40%. So I believe if you can check the calibration settings for colder tones/colours, you might be able to iron out the remaining black crush in future updates.
2. In WhatsApp, whenever I switch between chats too quickly, the chat refuses to open, even though the animation of it being clicked on is shown. To fix it I need to pull down the notification bar or scroll through the chat list for a second. This occurs every time I use WhatsApp.
3. Multi window is buggy when viewing pdf's on one of the windows. The bottom 10% of the bottom window starts flickering and I have to tap the window to get it back to normal, but then if I start scrolling too fast, it tends to start flickering again.
4. Picture in picture is highly inconsistent, sometimes the video appears PiP, other times it doesn't, and sometimes it does appear but the video itself is invisible, but the expand/close symbols are present. This is with any PiP compatible app.
5. While watching a YouTube video, if I receive a WhatsApp call and after picking up the call, if I connect my earphones with the dongle, it doesn't transfer to the earphones for a good 10 seconds. If I remove the dongles in this 10 second span, the speakers refuse to work unless I restart the phone. This has however, only happened once.
6. Certain apps freeze the touch response of the screen when I launch them, but not the screen itself. NBA 2K being one of the apps I had particular trouble with. It takes anywhere between 30 seconds to a minute to get the phone to respond again, however, the sleep button still works during this time. Sleeping the phone does not fix the issue and I'm forced to wait it out till the touch response returns.
7. Cellular data tends to disconnect quite frequently(WiFi however, is perfectly fine). My data connection is not the most stable, but even when I used my SIM in my other phones, it was never this bad. The phone disconnects from data for a couple of seconds every 10-15 mins or so. This is fine while watching YouTube or scrolling through social media, but when I'm trying to play a multiplayer game it becomes extremely annoying as the game disconnects for those couple of seconds and it's a pain waiting for it to reconnect. This is specifically after the .70 update for me, since when I had the .58 update, this didn't occur.
None of these bugs are severe for me apart from the black crush and the data cutout. All of them are extremely annoying, but all of them can be easily fixed with a software update or 2. I hope you can look into these bugs. Thanks.