1. System: Windows 10 Pro -64 bit 10.0.19041
  2. Battery or AC: Both
  3. Model: UX581GV, Bios UX581GV.307
  4. Frequency of occurrence: Always
  5. Reset OS: No
  6. Screenshot or video:

========================

Detailed description:

When disabling the Webcam using the switch button on the keyboard, the camera is still accessible by some apps. In the attached picture, you can notice that Skype can record me, even after disabling its access to the camera in the privacy settings. Other apps do not get access to the webcam when I switch the webcam off. Just some of them. This is a huge privacy issue.

Comments

• Hello Liviu,

May I know have you updated the BIOS I provided? and which Windows version are you on?

Please kindly name the Apps and their version that have this issue.

I have reported to related department and will test more myself.

Thank you.

• LiviuLiviu Level 1
    edited June 2020

Hi @Blake_ASUS ,

I haven't updated the BIOS yet to the version that fixes the green and gray lines on the Webcam as I'm traveling right now, and I do not have a usb key with me unfortunately. I could try it If you can provide an executable version to it, otherwise I can only update it in 2 weeks when I return from my travels.

Right now, the only app that I still have installed as it is required for my work is Skype. I have uninstalled the other one due to the issue. It happened on Zoom, and Microsoft Teams as well.

Skype version 8.61.0.87, application version 15.61.87.

Original Asus OS, up to date with the Windows 10 2004 update (10.0.19041)

I will reinstall the above apps and come back with their exact versions.

• Hello Liviu,

Thank you for your update.

• Hello Liviu,

Do you remember if there this issue happen in Windows 1909?

Thank you.

• LiviuLiviu Level 1

Hi @Blake_ASUS ,

I don't recall it. I have noticed it recently when I was in a Skype call and my webcam started recording me, even after disabling it using the keyboard button on the laptop. Here is a video of a test I just did.

• LiviuLiviu Level 1
    edited June 2020

I do recall some weird behaviors before updating it to 2004 update. Sometimes, when entering audio calls (with webcam disabled from the keyboard button), the camera light would blink once. But it didn't happen often. It isn't something easily reproducible.

If I repeat the test from the above comment, with the Camera app preinstalled from Windows, everything works as expected. Once I disable the camera, I get prompted that the app does not have access to it.

These are the Webcam drivers

• LiviuLiviu Level 1

Updated to the new bios, 308, nothing changed.

• Hello Liviu,

Thank you so much for the update.

I have reported this issue for verification.

Please kindly report this issue to Microsoft and Skype at the same time.

Thank you again.

• Hello Liviu,

After confirmation with our technical support,

our camera on/off button follow the setting of Microsoft privacy setting, the same on all models.

Please kindly report this issue to Microsoft and Skype as well.

Thank you.

This discussion has been closed.