Experience of my recent Switch from Samsung to ROG Phone 2 (Suggestions, Issues, Pros&Cons)
I have been using Samsung smartphones since Note 4, lastly I bought the Note10+ Global Edition (Exynos).
The last 4 months I've been surprised by the power of the smartphones and gaming, because I am a gamer and I have an Asus Zephyrus GX701GX I liked the idea of having PC and Phone Asus, but of course that was not what convinced me.
I bought the Asus Rog Phone 2 despite the fact that I already had an "end-game" Smartphone which is the Note10+ because o 1) Being able to charge and use headphone from the AeroActive Fan cooler, that way I can play with my hands free and cooling the phone. Excellent Idea
2) it has 3.5mm headphone jack, 120Hz screen, Snapdragon 855+.
It was a hard decision because I have everything with Samsung and I have no regrets because If I without having it I would have been wondering how would it be playing on a phone like the Asus, but I've been struggling which Is why I am giving Suggestions for the Asus Rog phone 3? and also presenting my issues.
What I like: Awesome Hardware, PUBG can play smoothly on Extreme and HD. I love Genie, the fact that I can see FPS, Temp, Load. uninterrupted play, etc. The phone is almost perfect.
What I don't like:
1) Position of the lock/unlock button, is too low, I press it all the time when I pick up the phone, when I try to fix the fan, pulling it out from the pocket. all the time my thumb end up touching that button, I like that it's on the right because of gaming on horizontal but it's too low and it ruins the moment everytime.
2) the triggers are awesome but it has what I believe design/hardware issue, If I use headphones connected on the 3.5mm port and I hold the phone with the right hand and headphones the right triggers triggers! HOLD like if the pressure by holding it that way is enough to trigger it. I try increasing the sensitivity but still. in any case for PUBG I don't use it because 4 fingers is better, but it's disappointing.
3) The camera sucks in comparison with Samsung's.. the 48MP every-time I shoot it has a blue filter or something like that, when I switch to 12MP it takes it with normal colors.. ( I don't care so much because I didn't buy the phone for the camera, but again if it would have been my main phone I wouldn't like it.. I still have the note 10 + and use it for work and photos..
4) Camera Zoom!, if it's configured to use the 48MP it doesn't allow to zoom, I understand it's a limitation but give us the option to make it dynamic that way, if we zoom all the way back is 48MP and as soon as we zoom in it automatically switches to 12MP.
5) The resolution is quite noticing, specially on PUBG, on the Note10+ it looks better, I understand it's a 120hz though.
6) Aeroactive cooler. I like it! but right now there's an issue with it, If I connect a headset through the 3.5mm headphone jack port the sound goes to the speakers at least on PUBG or while gaming. This is annoying, that's why i charge through the fan and use the phone's 3.5mm port to listen the game.
7) the Speakers.. Don't get me wrong it sounds very good but being a smartphone It's not good to me.. I play at work, in areas where I cannot disturb others, besides gaming with headphones on games like PUBG is an advantage. so I never use speakers loud. Why I dont like it? because it makes the phone larger, heavier and it doesn't look good nowadays I would prefer 100 times more screen than those speakers on the top/bottom. Also the phone is not waterproofed and having those speakers I am afraid in anything drops on top of those it will get damaged so.. Really no one will be playing PUBG/COD with volume up nearby anybody, it's annoying.
8) Vibration, when I play Asphalt 9, the vibration is very noticeable and I can't stop it, it's loud again If I am with people who are studying/working/busy/focus even IF I am wearing headphones the vibration is quite strong, it's good to have but allow us to disable it from the phone not depending on the game's settings.
So the phone is a beast, I love it, no regrets but as a main driver it needs some love. The blue filter camera issue is very bad for nongamer users. I bought the phone due to my addiction with PUBG to be honest and it's great, I love most things but please work on the things that I don't like or at least solve the issues. I really would love to have reasons to buy the Rog Phone 3 when it comes out.
Rog Phone 2 Ultimate and yes! the phone is updated on everything!.