Double tap to wake buggy on ZS630KL on 1911.110.

jj3877jj3877 Level 1
edited September 2020 in ZenFone 6

I am having problems waking up the phone by double tapping on the screen when it is off.

On Android P, sometimes it requires several tries but it will still turn on. After the update to Q, it was working flawlessly. However after the latest update, at least once a day, it will fail completely. It will not turn on no matter how many times I try. Can only wake the phone with the power button or fingerprint scanner.

Comments

• Works fine for me on 119 but worked fine on 110 too.

• Have the same issue with double-tapping to wake. Inconsistent.

• Same problem. I'm on 110 too, but haven't tried yet a factory reset or a clear cache boot (if it is doable).

• Although I am on the latest update even I have been facing the same issue it was there prior to this update as well for double tap to wake up I have to literally tap around 5-10 times and sometimes it doesn't work and i have to unlock using fingerprint the tap to sleep happens quickly though every time.

I have also reset my device after updating to A10 still the problem exists.

Please check this issue as it seems multiple people are having it.

@LP_ASUS @Anders_ASUS @CH_ASUS

• CH_ASUSCH_ASUS admin
    edited January 2020
    1. When the time comes each day that double-tap-to-wake "doesnt work" for you, can you check (after using FP or power key) in the Settings->Advanced->Gestures If Double-Tap-to-Wake has been disabled?
    2. When this occurs, where have you "double-tapped" . It DOES NOT work if you double-tap towards the edges of the screen (top, left, right, etc) - approx "one fingers thickness" from the edge. This is intentional.
    3. Double-Tap to wake does not work immediately after screen-off with Power Key, (like 1-2sec).

Could you help check if any of the above scenarios are relevant?

Edit; We already have a case open for this which some others also experience.

Thanks for your feedback!

• rcsl.contatorcsl.contato Level 1
    edited January 2020

I have exactly the same issue. I'm on 2001.121. On Android P (1908.191), it was working fine.

I tried factory reset, but no success.

1 - When the time comes each day that double-tap-to-wake "doesnt work" for you, can you check (after using FP or power key) in the Settings->Advanced->Gestures If Double-Tap-to-Wake has been disabled?

R: It still enabled.

2 - When this occurs, where have you "double-tapped" . It DOES NOT work if you double-tap towards the edges of the screen (top, left, right, etc) - approx "one fingers thickness" from the edge. This is intentional.

R: I double-tapped on the center of the screen.

3 - Double-Tap to wake does not work immediately after screen-off with Power Key, (like 1-2sec).

R: It works immediately after screen-off with Power Key.

edited January 2020

I have solved my problem after disable Battery Care (PowerMaster app).

Edit: I disabled and re-enabled Smart Lock too.

• Interesting...let me disable that and see how it goes.

• Sorry to report but it didn't work and I am running the latest .121. Guess asus have not addressed the issue. Something I noticed though, this problem usually occurs if I leave the phone face down and let the phone screen turn off on it's own. It somehow puts it into a state of "deep sleep"?

If I initial the screen off by double tapping the notification or power button I usually will not have any problems waking up the phone. However I cannot be 100% sure, as I sometimes forget how the screen was turned off the previously when I cannot wake the phone via double tap.

edited January 2020

You're right. I thought I had solved my problem, but the problem still persists. :(

"... this problem usually occurs if I leave the phone face down and let the phone screen turn off on it's own." <<<- I noticed that.

• Something I noticed though, this problem usually occurs if I leave the phone face down and let the phone screen turn off on it's own.

This is an interesting scenario of how to trigger the error, but if you put your phone face down, why do you wake it up with a double tap and not a fingerprint? It doesn't make ergonomic sense.

I don't place the cell phone downside down, I turn it off with a gesture or sometimes with a power button, and I never have a problem waking up, either with a swipe gesture or a double-tap. By far, most often, of course, fingerprint, it's fast and reliable.

• jj3877jj3877 Level 1
    edited February 2020

Updated to .129 Hopefully it fixed the issue. Keeping my fingers crossed. Thank you to Asus for looking into this.

This discussion has been closed.