Buggy double tap to sleep

ColorSageColorSage Level 3
edited September 2020 in ZenFone 6

Since my update to Android 10, using status bar to put my phone to sleep seems very buggy and it works in 30% of cases. Remaining ones result in partially expanded notifications panel. I've updated it with full wipe. Could you look into it?

Comments

• I've mentioned that but I had the same issue on pie.

• ColorSageColorSage Level 3
    edited December 2019

It wasn't that bad on Pie. It didn't work every time but at least notification panel was working correctly. I mean it was hiding itself so you could try again. In the picture I am not touching the screen.

• Do you mean that the notification bar looks like this most of the time, or only appears like this when you are double tapping to go to sleep?

• skylerwolfeskylerwolfe Level 3
    edited December 2019

I assume I'm seeing the same thing. Often times when double tapping on the status bar, the first of the two taps triggers a drop-down of the notification shade. The second tap then interacts with the notification shade. Sometimes it fully extends, sometimes it freezes halfway (not really frozen but just partially open and closed).

It works incorrectly enough that I've stopped using the feature for the most part because it is so variably effective. It might work 5 times in a row but then work wrong 4 out of the next 5 times.

edited December 2019

Here is the very first attempt I made after making the above post.

I'm not sure why a single tap on the status bar activates the notification shade. It doesn't seem to be helpful. It drops down for only maybe one second then closes. I could see if a tap opened it completely someone might use that. Maybe if that "feature" could be turned off it would prevent the above issue?

• It is quite possible that the error you are referring to is somehow linked to the other error that I reported here:

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/14049/the-fastest-way-to-show-quick-settings

• Hi all, I was just told that this issue has been resolved in the next FOTA.

edited January 2020
    edited January 2020

Still seems buggy to me with 119. I downloaded the full update file (not OTA) and updated via recovery. Single tapping still causes the notification shade to partially drop down unnecessarily, then the second tap often incorrectly interacts with that (?) so that the screen doesn't turn off. It sometimes works but often doesn't.

• _jis__jis_ Level 5
    edited January 2020

I tested it and for me it works every time, but your double tap should be quick enough.

So forget single tap (I mean slow double tapping) and use quick double tap :)

edited January 2020

Yeah I do it as quick as I can. It works maybe 75% of the time but at least one out of every 3 or 4 times it just activates the notification shade. Not the biggest issue, but would be nice to be better. The reason I mentioned single tap is that it seems that the fact that a single tap in any way activates the notification shade is a problem. If you single tap, it briefly activates the shade but then it goes back up. I'm not sure that is useful but maybe someone would disagree (and maybe this is just the way A10 works and is not a ZenUI issue - it was not an issue for me on AICP pie on another device). If a single tap never activated the shade then a double tap should always work.

• _jis__jis_ Level 5
    edited January 2020

100% for me.

I suppose you know you can double-click anywhere on the home screen (but of course you need this when you are in other app). It does not have to be just at the very top and you can also use a completely different gesture for the purpose, which may be more comfortable and reliable.

For example I am using this bottom gesture in FNG. Maybe I'm annoying here with FNG promotion, but whoever tried it would never want to use anything else (it is better than any builtin gestures we have).

edited January 2020

After using it for a few more days I do think it is much better than 110 but maybe fails 10 to 20 percent of the time. Not a big deal.

This discussion has been closed.