[PSA] Take caution - Tencent-branded Chinese models with "Global/International ROM"

Comments

• To my knowledge a Tencent edition ROG Phone II will never receive a WW FOTA update. You can attempt a manual installation, but we can't guarantee that the FW will update.

We are not supporting these devices because the software was never designed to work with that hardware. Different antennae bands, data connections, etc etc. Google and Android do not exist in China, therefore running an Android FW on a phone designed for a world without Google is problematic at best.

How did the device leave China in the original wrapping? Presumably, someone bought a Tencent phone in China, unboxed it and flashed the WW firmware, then resealed it and sold it to Gearbest after bringing it across the Chinese border. This is not an official configuration and we have never produced a Tencent edition on worldwide firmware. You can consider it tampered with. Our engineers won't even allow me to provide instructions on how to flash it back to China FW because they are so concerned it will brick the device.

I'm sorry to hear that you have one of the affected devices. Consider contacting Gearbest with this information and requesting some kind of return/refund.

• I think this is unacceptable, Asus should have done a better job with preventing this phones to leave China and alerting the public about this issue.

It is very tempting to buy a phone with this specs for around 550 USD and I think Asus is getting great PR and sales from this mishap.

You can't sell so many devices and then tell all the costumers who paid for them they are basically screwed and send them to negotiate with Gearbest, Aliexpress, Banggood etc. this sites are not Amazon and there is no real buyer protection there they will not refund us and will not give us the option to return the device after being used.

If Asus would have wanted to prevent this issue the least they could do is complain and prevent the selling of this device in Amazon, Ebay and other respected sites but I believe it is under Asus's best interest to keep selling this devices worldwide.

Now that the "cat is out of the bag" and so many devices are out on the world I thing Asus should at the very least give the people who bought this version an easy way to at least change the fingerprint version to WW, I can understand that you can't support OTA for this device but having people who spent hundreds of dollars on your phone's brand telling them they basically have a brick is cruel at best.

Luckily I have some experience in Android modding and I was able to get everything to work apart from OTA, VOLTE, WIFI calling and 4G+ but I sure am regret of buying this phone, I would have never paid the full price for the global version and even if I did I think in my country (Israel) I wouldn't have gotten VOLTE, WIFI calling and 4G+, if I had known this before I purchased I would have never bought this device.

SHAME ON YOU ASUS!

• Hello everyone, I am very new to this platform and I recently bought the new ROG phone 2 obviously the tencent version because i am currently staying in china. when i come to this platform i noticed that people are facing many problems with tencent version phone. i also want to change my whole software to global version and sync with google account. please help in this regards

• It is the ASUS's responsibility to solve all these kind of issues they didn't announced it in advanced and most people get fooled and facing many problems now. its very sad.

• My device is working perfectly, I just want the option to do software updates , but I can't get any updates at this point in time , Asus can help if they want to , I really hope they will consider seeing that there are so many devices like that around the world.

• If you will fix your fingerprint and switch it from CN to WW you will be able to manually update the firmware without an issue.

• My fingerprints is working and I have a ww Rom, I purchased it like that, but my Rom is not the latest and it keeps telling me that I have the latest 1906.19-0

• Ma kore Aviv?

Gam ani kaniti et hamachshir kacha..

Can u help me with this? I'll appreciate if you'll send me a WhatsApp..0549981175..toda

• I feel for everyone but sadly this something that is quite hard to avoid since the phones are coming out from China and to be honest anyone can just temper with the phone and re-pack and resell it.

I think ASUS can open a official ASUS web store on Amazon that ships to many countries, I am not sure if they have that but it will definitely help ? especially for those people who live in a countries that does not have a physical Store front.

Is there other reasons that you guys would want to Flash the ROM to Global from the China version ? it is because of google services right ? If that is the case I am just wondering...can we some how do it like the HuaWei mate 30 pro where people installed google manually in order to enjoy google services except google pay of course.

• It is indeed a problem..

Aviv - can you contact me , it seems you know how to fix this situation .. I am too, stuck with the 1906 ww rom....

My cell is 0549981175.. from Israel too.

• I think not asus problem buy a device for non official asus resseler with modified firmware, this is a problem of seller.

• For you that have bought Tencent version, download "Device Info HW" from playstore. Under the system tab, make sure that "description" and "fingerprint" has the same system, ie. WW or CN. If they are different you can try XDA forum or Youtube.

• Dear all, i HAVE CN version 8/128 which i was changed to WW Rom(WW-16.0631.1910.35) without any issues. Now questions is, i can't see my 5Ghz band on my router i able to see only 2.4Ghz. This phone doesn't support 5Ghz wifi?

Thank you

• Asus should have offered, and still can, also the 8/128 international version. Not many people can afford to pay 900 USD for a phone. This would have prevented many problems to customers who bought the Tencent version because that was the version they could afford. It was also not clear on the internet that Tencent version would have problems outside of China. Otherwise people would not buy it. The lack of LTE bands in the Chinese version was also not emphasized enough. the international version owners have no bugs and they are very pleased with the phone. Every question they have is immediately answered. Every customer should have the same level of experience and satisfaction with the product. Asus now has the chance to create a significant customer base for phones. Rog phone 2 is a product many want. But with all these problems that great opportunity might be missed. Customers who bought the phone in good faith and now being left on disposal of dealers will have a bitter taste in their mouths. I understand Asus cannot control dealers but loud and clear campaigns could have been taken to make sure people understand that Tencent version would only work properly in China.

• You said it dude! This has been a known issue since Nokia's time. hard to stop unethical business man from conducting unethical business online. But we as customers can do our research to protect ourselves! Price tag is one thing...and one thing I have learnt over the years...if the price is too good to be true..don't put your money on it till you research it!

• Try buy Indian or Indonesian version of 8/128. It's not a Tencent and with WW firmware.

There will be no international product guarantee because ASUS implemented local guarantee (CMIIW).

• edited December 2019

I bought Asus ROG 2 as a replacement for my Samsung S 10 because of its battery and flagship processor, now the store where I purchased my Asus phone did not mention anything about that CN vs WW issue I don't follow everything that comes out with Asus, and the store (Philippine store) will not give me a refund and I think theres people like me who is not tech savvy and updated on the current events with Asus and its products. I think Asus has a part to blame with its partial release here and there and I can say that this would be my last Asus phone if nothing comes out good for those who inadvertently purcahsed a China only markret phone that for some reason made it to other countries such as the Philippines

Damn I can't even change my user name ....

• are you using the CN rom? im also from the Philippines and i've researched quite a lot and i think that the phone can work here in the country. i dont have the phone but im pretty sure it will work.

• This is where I bought mines

The only problem I have is the updating and reading the post I'm kinda mad because this wasn't made public for people know and I spent a lot of money getting this phone.

Like I said the only problem I'm facing is not being able to get updates.

And sadly I can't return it and for me that 2 Grand because my Country Currency is lower.